Good gaming computer for 700 dollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The x3 720's and i3 530's stock performance is guaranteed. A X2 555 outperforming them is not. I'd rather have guaranteed good performance than possibly better performance with the potential for worse performance.

Unless you can provide proof to back up unlocks having a 80% success rate that is nothing more than a guess.

Guaranteed to have a small probability of being better.

Phenom X2 550BE Unlocking/Overclocking Consolidated - Overclockers Australia Forums
based on the figures for X2 550's, they get 76.2% probability (93 successful, 29 failed, 122 total)

Test sample too small.

Also, those who got successful unlocks are probably more likely to report it than those who fail, given that it's an enthusiast forum.

Grains of salt, I take this with. -Yoda

Also, Apokalipse, your statistics are off.
You say that the Phenom II X2 555 has a 20% failure to unlock rate?
And say that the Phenom II X3 720 would be better only 20% of the time, but you're not factoring in for the fact that the Phenom II X3 720's have unlock rates themselves.

As Puddle Jumper said.
It's not worth the risk, even if it's only 20%, heck even if it's only 5% of buying a gimped processor on a build that you want to be reliable.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1789661 said:
Test sample too small.

Also, those who got successful unlocks are probably more likely to report it than those who fail, given that it's an enthusiast forum.
I highly doubt that. In fact, psychologically people are more inclined to say something if things don't go their way.

Also, Apokalipse, your statistics are off.
You say that the Phenom II X2 555 has a 20% failure to unlock rate?
And say that the Phenom II X3 720 would be better only 20% of the time, but you're not factoring in for the fact that the Phenom II X3 720's have unlock rates themselves
Actually I'm not. Even if the X3 720 unlocks, C3 stepping chips overclock more.
Plus, I'm sure C3 stepping chips would get higher yields.

As Puddle Jumper said.
It's not worth the risk, even if it's only 20%, heck even if it's only 5% of buying a gimped processor on a build that you want to be reliable.
Mathematically it's illogical to choose a higher probability of having lower performance.

Solution to all of this: Buy a 555BE locally, if it doesn't unlock, exchange it for a different one. If that doesn't unlock, repeat the process.

LOL...

Edit: OP do you live close to a Fry's?

LOL.. this thread is hilarious!

i really like your logic Apokalipse... you can prove pretty much anything with statistics...

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, ****** lies, and statistics."

Well if he buys a Phenom II X3 720
100% chance he won't be disappointed

If he buys a Phenom II X2 555 expecting it to unlock
20% chance he will be disappointed

Where's your math and logic on that one?

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1789755 said:
Well if he buys a Phenom II X3 720
100% chance he won't be disappointed

If he buys a Phenom II X2 555 expecting it to unlock
20% chance he will be disappointed

Where's your math and logic on that one?
Been through that. 80% chance the X3 720 won't perform as well as the C3 stepping 555.

^^ Once again you are ignoring the x3 720s unlock rate. Besides 90% of all statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom