Hey guys could use some help low cost Graphics computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidJC

Baseband Member
I am trying to build a cheap as possible computer that can handle photoshop and microsoft word for designing magazines and books. I was looking around on Tigerdirect and I came across this

Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H Ultra Barebones Kit - Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H Mobo, AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU, OCZ 4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz RAM, Gigabyte GZPH2A30 Mid-Tower Case, Ultra LS600 600W PSU at TigerDirect.com

It's not a bad start. I don't need a ton of power I imagine. Not going to be a gaming computer. I am trying to stay with a quad core, seems like to me it would be best. So if anyone has any ideas I am all ears. Trying to keep costs down as much as possible, the person I am building it for is not going to game heavily or anything.

Thanks if anyone can help.

the computer should work fine for what you want. You can always add a graphics card later if you need one.

Yeah it's not bad just seeing if there were better options, I was thinking about picking the parts from scratch and doing it all from the ground up

You'll still need a hard drive, optical drive, operating system and possibly a video card.

Those parts don't look too good to me. That PSU looks pretty cheap and overall you're investing in old technology.

If you put it together you could get something like this:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-AG - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD253GJ 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

total: $430 w/ free shipping; and i also included a hard drive. I didn't include optical or OS since i wasn't sure if you needed those..

anyways, you get much higher quality parts there!

Thanks Alia I like the processor a lot more I might try to shave a lil more off the mobo and ram if I can. I was given 350 to make a computer, I don't mind adding to it but I have to try and not spend too much more.

That helps me a lot though, gives me an idea of what is out there.

so whats your max budget? is it just for the tower and all its internal parts?

do you have an hdd and/or optical drive you could reuse from another comp?

You'll still need a hard drive, optical drive, operating system and possibly a video card.

Those parts don't look too good to me. That PSU looks pretty cheap and overall you're investing in old technology.

If you put it together you could get something like this:
Newegg.com - A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-AG - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD253GJ 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

total: $430 w/ free shipping; and i also included a hard drive. I didn't include optical or OS since i wasn't sure if you needed those..

anyways, you get much higher quality parts there!

You can shave like $30~ off the price by getting this PSU/Case combo

And you can save on the Processor/Motherboard by going with an Athlon II X4 vs a Phenom II X4 and getting a motherboard like this.
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR A785G3 AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

If I were you, I'd stick with the RAM he has picked out, it's pretty good for the price.

So if you take my suggestions you shave a total of $70-80 off the price bringing the total down to $350-360
More along your budget.

You could also consider a triple core athlon and save even more if you need to.
The performance difference for photoshop won't be that big, if there's really a noticeable one at all.
Also you might be able to just unlock the fourth core.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138163

Well I am just tying to keep it cheap as I can. I can give a lil here and there. After 350$ it comes out of my pocket so trying to minimize damage. The person who will be using the computer really does not care too much about power. I am looking at the 630 Propus AMD CPU right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom