Good gaming computer for 700 dollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no pre built pc's already on the market? :(

I really don't know how to build a computer. Unless someone can direct me somewhere, I'm lost. These parts I'm sure are great, but my expertise is not.

i built my rig for only $600
plays everything so far..im playing metro2033 right now, its awesome

.. look below for specs --v

There's no pre built pc's already on the market? :(

I really don't know how to build a computer. Unless someone can direct me somewhere, I'm lost. These parts I'm sure are great, but my expertise is not.
It's better to build your own system, or get someone to build it for you.
If you know enough about hardware, you will always find what you want cheaper and faster.

No, that is categorically incorrect. C3 chips on average get about 200MHz higher at the same volts than C2 chips.

Also, I know from experience, having replaced a C2 stepping Phenom II 940 with a C3 stepping Phenom II 965. The 940 (C2) needed 1.525V to get 3.8GHz 100% stable. The 965 (C3) does it at stock volts (1.4), and can get 4GHz at 1.5V.

the highest speed I got the 940 (C2) to was 4160MHz with a barely stable superpi run.
The 965 (C3) got 4410MHz more stably than the 940 at 4160, at the same volts (1.65V - you need very good air cooling or watercooling for that though).
Also, it was done with the same board (Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P)

If you go to the Tech forums Official SuperPi 1M list, you'll see that my 965 C3 stepping chip is at the top of the AMD list.

For further reference, see anybody at xtremesystems replacing their C2 chip with a C3 chip.
The probability of getting one that does unlock is good (about 7-8 successful unlocks to 2 failed unlocks last time I checked.)

You're comparing an AM2+ CPU's overclock ability with an AM3 CPU's overclock ability.

Don't think the architecture can be compared quite like that.

Let me know when you have a Phenom II X4 955 C2 vs a Phenom II X4 955 C3 as I'm curious how they perform when pegged against one another.
Personally, I think batch # has more to do with the performance and overclock than the stepping when it comes to C2 vs C3.

I don't think that "CATEGORICALLY" proves anything.
But if you ask me, the C2 vs C3 performance is questionable.
I still say, go for whichever fits the budget and the bill as far as C2 vs C3 goes.

bit-tech.net | Review - AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE C3 Review

Also, assuming none of your cores are going to be good enough to unlock stable, what's the smarter buy?
A dual core Phenom II for $100~ or a triple core Phenom II for $100~?

Three birds in the hand are worth four in the bush.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1789261 said:
You're comparing an AM2+ CPU's overclock ability with an AM3 CPU's overclock ability.

Don't think the architecture can be compared quite like that.
Doesn't matter.
AM2+ and AM3 C2 stepping chips use exactly the same die. Only the socket is different (and therefore the ability to run DDR3).
Let me know when you have a Phenom II X4 955 C2 vs a Phenom II X4 955 C3 as I'm curious how they perform when pegged against one another.
Find anybody on xtremeSystems who replaced their C2 stepping Phenom II 955 with a C3 stepping Phenom II 955 and you'll see.
Personally, I think batch # has more to do with the performance and overclock than the stepping when it comes to C2 vs C3.
No, C3 stepping chips pretty much universally get about 200MHz more than C2 at the same volts. Batch doesn't really matter.

At xtremesystems, they're using the term C3-itis, to refer to the flock of people upgrading to a C3 stepping chip.
I don't think that "CATEGORICALLY" proves anything.
That's why I said you should check out people at xtremesystems who keep upgrading to C3 stepping chips and getting better results.
But if you ask me, the C2 vs C3 performance is questionable.
It really isn't when just about everybody gets better results on C3.
Even that bit-tech review you posted showed them getting 200Mhz higher on C3 (4GHz vs 3.8).
Just that Crysis (the page you linked specifically) won't really show much difference for different CPU speeds.

Just that Crysis (the page you linked specifically) won't really show much difference for different CPU speeds.

You see the thing is, if there isn't much of a difference for gaming...
Whatever difference there may be, is irrelevant.

Read this thread's title.

"gaming"
C3 might be pushable 200Mhz further on average...
Slightly lower voltage/temps

But if the gaming performance is about the same, I say go for the better bang/buck.
Triple core $100~ or Dual core $100~
That's all it comes down to.

If you're going down that route, gaming usually doesn't favour three cores over two either.

The fact is, C3 chips will get higher clocks at lower volts.
Unlocked to a quad, a C3 stepping X2 555 is probably the best value CPU you can get right now.

If you're going down that route, gaming usually doesn't favour three cores over two either.

The fact is, C3 chips will get higher clocks at lower volts.
Unlocked to a quad, a C3 stepping X2 555 is probably the best value CPU you can get right now.

That's assuming you will get an X2 that unlockes to a quad though. Even if the odds of that happening are pretty good I would rather get a Athlon II x4 630 and be guaranteed 4 stable cores.

That's assuming you will get an X2 that unlockes to a quad though. Even if the odds of that happening are pretty good I would rather get a Athlon II x4 630 and be guaranteed 4 stable cores.

The problem with that is...
No L3 cache?
Worse gaming performance than a Phenom II X2.
Where as a Phenom II X3 720 for multi threaded apps/multi threaded games will out perform a Phenom II X2 555.

It's strictly a matter of, do you want three cores with the possibility of unlocking to four?
Do you want two cores with the possibility of unlocking to four?

Do you want two cores and possibly* 200Mhz higher, though there's no guarantee* pending batch #'s and various other factors. (The 200Mhz probably won't matter that much.)

Or do you want 4 cores, and no L3 cache so your gaming will be slightly gimped?
Psh...
I think the Athlon idea is probably out, as a Phenom II X2 is a better gaming buy over that, though I wouldn't write off the Phenom II x3 720...
Such a good performer for the money, + you're guaranteed those 3 cores...
Phenom II X2 555? Guaranteed 2 cores.
Regardless of how much it clocks.
2 cores. *Possibly 4
But the same can be said for the Phenom II X3 720.
3 cores. *Possibly 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom