Powersupply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shumway

Fully Optimized
When i built my comp i used the powersupply that came with my case a 420w okia,lately when i click on someting like a pic or a link etc i can here my fans rev up and down like it's drawing extra power,it's never done that before and it's starting to bug me,do you think it might be going on me? I don't really have much in my case so power wise it should be fine,i have 3 80mm fans a cdrom a dvd burner and 2 cold cathode's and 2 harddrive's,Do you think it's time for a new one?

its not necessarily the wattage, its the power rails that have the available amps. look on the side of the PSU and tell us the various amps available for each voltage such as for 12v+ and 3.3v+.

that psu should be enough power... you need to check the rails and see if they're going too low. If they are, then the I'm guessing the monitor in there turns the fans on higher or something.

When i'm in my bios they barely move what so ever,they might move like .1 but that's it, i think i might go and get a new 1 just to be on the safe side of thing's,Can any you guy's recomend a nice 1 with good rails.

nah dude its not ur psu ur comps probly doing that cuase thats when the cpu is working hard so it needs more cooling,

u sure its the fans? could be the hard drive moving

demand - supply

Hey Shumway
This happens to me too and i got 6 fans (including CPU fan), 2 neon lights, 2 HDD, and 2 cdrom drives and the only fan that revs higher on occasion is my CPU fan .... so like what Gl\l0m!$h said about the cpu needing to be cooled ..for the more procceses. seems to be right ... and i have a raidmax 350watt.

Gl\l0m!$h said:
nah dude its not ur psu ur comps probly doing that cuase thats when the cpu is working hard so it needs more cooling,

u sure its the fans? could be the hard drive moving

demand - supply

I'm pretty sure it's not the cpu fan the only fans that do it is my side fan and the top fan,I was talking 2 the computer place today and they said that the power supply (okia420w)that came in my case is kind of crappy,they said they had 2 replace lot's of them,when i first built my comp i had 2 return the case because when i turned it on for the first time the power supply blew and it was the same type i'm having problems with now.

Well if it is your PSU I suggest either the Thermaltake 560w PSU or the Ultra 500w Modular connection PSU, both are $100. The thermaltake's rails are like +3.3 - 30a +5 - 35a +12 - 22a the +12 volt rail I know for sure is 22a and the fans, cold cathodes, and that stuff run off that line, so does your processor. I have 9 case fans, 2 in the PSU, one on the processor for a total of 12, 2 HD's, cd-burner, dvd-rom and my thermaltake holds it out fine. The ultra has a +12v rail of 30a I believe. so there's lots of room there

Decided to take the power supply in for a test and sure enough the damn thing was screwing up,the tech said the power was jumping up and down way more than it should,the tech was pretty nice and exchanged it for a 500w with a bit better +12 rail even though mine wasn't under warrenty. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom