LFH with my first gaming system :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

emphy

Solid State Member
Hey peeps,

I am considering making my next gaming system all by myself, being a newb im not sure of any parts, but i am researching like mad. Just wondering if any of you could point me in the right directions and give me some suggestions regarding any of my choices so far. The main part im not sure of is the graphics card i have chosen, i've had Nvidia Geforces since i started using a computer and im a little 'scared' to go away from that brand.

Here are my specs so far:
Case: NZXT Hades Black w/ Red LED **HD5970 Compatible**
Power Supply: OCZ 750w Modular PSU
CPU: Intel Core i7 860 2.8Ghz 8Mb Cache Quad Core Hyperthreading 4 Cores/8 Threads (Stock Intel Cooler)
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD5 SLI/Crossfire Motherboard
RAM: 4Gb (2x2Gb) 1600Mhz DDR3 (OCZ/Corsair)
Video Card: 2x ATI HD5850 1Gb in Crossfire DX11 **Dirt2 Coupon** 750w PSU Required
Hard Drive 1: Western Digital WD5000AADS 500Gb 32Mb Cache Caviar Green Read/Write 50Mb/s
Optical Drive 1: BenQ DW240S Dual Layer 24x DVD+-RW Black
Sound Card: Onboard Sound
Network Card: Onboard Network
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Productivity Software: Microsoft Office Home & Student Edition 2007

Thanks all :D

Awesome,

I have decided to use a Coolmaster CM Storm Sniper case instead.

Will prob build the system next month, so great to know i can save a lil on the cards once the new Nvidia's come out.

thanks for the help :D

maybe go with a single 5970 instead of starting with 2 5850s. it performs very similarly to the crossfire setup and should cost around the same too, but it will give you the option to possibly add a second 5970 monster if you ever need that much more power.

also maybe look for a caviar black drive instead of the caviar green.

Hey guys, thanks for the help it has helped me a tonne, was just wondering what version of the i7 i should use for a great gaming rig? Also the amount of ram that i should have with it?

thanks in advance :D

for the 1156 socket, i7 860 w/ a dual channel kit of ram.

for the 1366 socket, i7 920 w/ a triple channel kit of ram.

The 930 is hardly more expensive than the 920
Also, I'm not convinced triple channel is needed even on 1366. I think 2 x 2GB or 4 x 2GB (dual channel) would be more than fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom