Posts but freezes at boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosephBarker

Solid State Member
My computer has been having trouble for a long time. I built it a half a year ago and its never worked right and I'm out of ideas.

XFX nForce 750i SLI
2x1GB 1066MHz Corsair Dominator DDR2
2x2GB 1066MHz Corsair Dominator DDR2
2x EVGA Nforce 9400 (SLI)
850watt OCZ PSU
Intel Quad Core Q9400 i believe. the 2.67GHz one
750GB WD Caviar HDD

Anyway I can't do anything on the computer.....

Safemode doesn't load so its definatly a hardware issue.
I RMAd my first mobo and installed the new one and still same issue
Memory i sent in because one was failed and installed the new one. Still fail.

I'm lost now

I actually got to the desktop by underclocking my CPU to 1200 FSB from 1333....

I think my CPU is bad now which will **** me off.

What are the symptoms of a failing CPU

Its a little concerning how you don't seem too sure of the actual CPU in your first post, but you've been adjusting FSB speeds in BIOS. Confirm exactly what hardware you've got, make sure BIOS settings match up and then go from there. If you've got the FSB running at the wrong speed or the wrong type of RAM, then things won't run properly if at all.

My experience with not being able to safe boot is generally an issue with the actual windows installation or drivers NOT hardware.

The other suggestion that I'd try is once you've confirmed that you've got your BIOS setup properly, try boot to a windows install disc. This will allow you to test the hardware in its most basic configuration.

CPU's from my understanding either work or they don't. I haven't really heard any stories of them partially failing and still getting past POST

Sorry if i seemed like I didn't know wtf i was talking about. I know the CPU type i was just too lazy to check it and it is the Q9400.

Well the thing is my default values for everything in bios won't allow a successful boot. Typically freezes on loading windows or logging in.

Right now i'm on the computer with FSB at 1200 and DRAM at 800.

Could it be that the better FSB:DRAM ratio helps the computer run?

I'm pretty unhappy with this as my RAM should can run at 1066.

Any help on a possible good ratios. (Looking for FSB speed and RAM speed only, I'll do the voltages myself)

It's actually at the desktop on default settings now....I'll run a few stability tests to check how well it runs at the default

scratch that it just froze on me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom