Format?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePCmaN

In Runtime
ok... i gotta reformat my aunts harddrive for her.. but im not 100% on what all to do!! i have a.. 98 SE Boot Disk.. and she has her copy of an OS !! now.. what all do i do.. can someone please explain the step clearly... thanks :D

Pop in the CD that has the OS on it, restart the machine, it should boot from the CD as long as you have the CD-ROM set first in the boot sequence in the BIOS, if it's never been touched then chances are it's that by default. It might say 'Press key to boot from cd' and you have about 5 seconds to do so and then the setup on the CD will begin. From there it's basically all self-explanitory, you'll see your drives, you'll need to delete the partition on C:\ (remember this is deleting EVERYTHING so make sure all your crap is backed up prior to beginning this) Then you'll need to setup a partition which I believe the key in setup will C for create a partition. Just leave the parameters the same and hit enter and you'll see a partition has been created. Then you'll want to setup a windows installation on that partition and it'll ask you how you want to format it. You want to do it in NTFS, don't do quick. And then from there the computer basically takes over. If this doesn't really clear it up just google it :D Gl

hmm... thanks man.. anyone else!! cuz ive heard tons of people say differ ways... i may try this.. but anyone else .. feel free to post

All files will be lost, make sure to backup anything important before formatting!

TO INSTALL Windows98:

-Start your comp and enter your BIOS (press either F9,F10,F11,F12 or the DEL, pretty soon after powering up your computer)

-In your BIOS, make sure A: (floppydisk drive) is the primary boot device; look for a setting called "boot sequence" in the standard CMOS menu.

-Save settings, put in your bootdisk and the 98 disc and reboot the comp

-select "boot with cd-rom'

-type "format c:" (if d: is your windows partition type format d: etc)

-type "setup" or "setup.exe"

This is pretty much all info you need.

lol major, nubius beats every1 here. lol ya reformat is pretty straight forward. if ur installing xp, just pop in cd, and fallow intrctions.
or just boot to dos from floppy, and reformat from there.

well i think she might be usin Windows XP ... is that ok, even if i have a 98 Boot Disk..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom