Some ATI Crossfire AMD System Overclock Suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkfalz

Solid State Member
(CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower Gaming Case - Black)
Processor([== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU)
Processor Cooling(Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [AMD])
Memory(4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand)
Video Card(ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB - CrossFire Mode (Dual Cards))
Motherboard(ASUS M4A77TD -- AMD 770 Chipset w/8-ch HD Audio, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 1 PCI-E MB)
Power Supply(700 Watt -- Power Supply - SLI Ready)
Primary Hard Drive(750 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive)
Optical Drive(22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black)
Sound Card(3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard)
Network Card(Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100))
Operating System(Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-Bit)

Hope that I disclosed all the important information. New rig that i just got and I am totally newb to overclocking. I just wanted to see what kind of tweaks I could make to these in order to get some better results to some games that I play. Run a few games like BFBC2 on all high with 2MSAA with HBAO off and Vsync/Tri buff enabled at 60-80fps. Occasionally I get some framerate poops when a explosion or grenade goes off near me (not sure if its the game but Im very noob to pcs in general so I may just be doing something wrong).

Just wanted to know how much to consider tweaking and how I can go with doing these adjustments (programs and other apps) and the threshold I have while still maintaining a nice temps. Most games i have play amazing well with the rig i have, but the problem is that i play on a large monitor which makes some jaggies here and there which makes it quite annoying. Keeping in mind I like to tap up the AA a bit with games, I also wonder what i need to consider in raising as far as tweaks while still keeping a sexy framerate. (This is mostly the reason of wanting to make the tweaks.)

Oh and in case this is needed, my current GPU Clock is 850MHz Memory Clock is 1200MHz

Thanks in advance :3

i see that you've listed crossfired 5770s, but what i don't get is how you can have a crossfire setup considering that the mobo you listed doesn't have enough expansion slots for crossfire. it only has 1 x16 slot.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

The tower is actually a 922 model, not 932. I did forget to fix that. Not sure if thats gonna change anything seeing as how the motherboard is the source of the Crossfire. Heres a pic of the more specifics....
2w4.png

i see that you've listed crossfired 5770s, but what i don't get is how you can have a crossfire setup considering that the mobo you listed doesn't have enough expansion slots for crossfire. it only has 1 x16 slot.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

It has two PCI-E x16 slots, but one runs at x4 speed.

OP, tell us what size monitor and what resolution you play, also what games and on what detail settings.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1788272 said:

OP, tell us what size monitor and what resolution you play, also what games and on what detail settings.
I have a ASUS 24inch Screen that i run all my games in 1900x1200 and mostly playing Battlefield Bad Company/Dawn of War 2 and the occasional single player games like Mass Effect 2. Im more looking towards getting myself ready for FFXIV and the other new graphic intensive games of 2010.

From the games mentioned I run everything on max with a solid and sexy framerate, but with battlefield I have HBAO off and my MSAA down to 1x to keep a good solid framerate and was looking for some small boosts to be able to raise the bar a bit higher as far as AA goes to get that silky smooth look without so much jaggies. Having bad framerate drops when i increase the AA (which is understandable) which is why I need some tweaks to boost a few things.

You mentioned that on of the slots in my motherboard runs one of the cards at x4 speed? Is that bad or good? Care to explain? BTW, thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1788272 said:

no dude, did you not see the link i posted?

unless the op just made a simple mistake and forgot to add "Pro" at the end of the board's name, because the one he listed is ASUS M4A77TD and it would be physically impossible to have a crossfire setup on it.

i think you're getting it confused with the ASUS M4A77TD Pro, which does have 2 slots @ x16/x4.

no dude, did yohttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131398u not see the link i posted?

unless the op just made a simple mistake and forgot to add "Pro" at the end of the board's name, because the one he listed is ASUS M4A77TD and it would be physically impossible to have a crossfire setup on it.

i think you're getting it confused with the ASUS M4A77TD Pro, which does have 2 slots @ x16/x4.
My bad, i was reading off the parts from the site i ordered from. Using CPUID i found what i have in there is different: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131398

It's generally better to have one GPU that's more powerful than two less powerful GPU's in crossfire.
Two 5770's combined have 1600 shaders in crossfire, but isn't as fast as one 5870 which has 1600 shaders by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom