building from scratch for graphic design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah man as of right now I am only using PS, I would love to have a couple of those $5000 programs but I think I should get the rig to put them on first. I will change that to the 60g tho. Thanks for the input. To tell the truth, I really dont know anything about SSD. I just assumed you put your OS on it and it made you computer faster. lol So you want to try and put your programs on there as well? I am going to need so much help setting this thing up. To tell the truth, I just want something I can work on heavily layered PS files with, with out haveing to wait thirty minutes every time I save. I am telling you if you guys could see this rig I am working with now you would probably ban me from the forum.

Well I advised you to get only 4Gb if you were staying with the AMD build, if you move up to an i7 920, I advise going up to 6Gb of RAM. (3x2Gb)
As running a 64 bit operating system on 3Gb is kind of iffie, as well as doing design work, I'd recommend 4Gb as the standard, anything below that and you're kinda in a bad spot, especially if you're using a 64 bit OS or 64 bit apps.

Also I recommend this monitor over the Samsung you have selected.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7&cm_re=aoc_22_monitor-_-24-160-047-_-Product

It's much higher quality, so it's better for design/editing purposes, and overall it's about $1-2 cheaper.

Also, that PSU you have selected is probably not that great...
I think it must have a high failure rate just by looking at it's review percentages.

I noticed you picked a combo deal with $150 off...
That's fine and dandy... Except the case that's part of that deal is a $300+ case...
So in reality that combo deal isn't really saving you any money.

The Workstation card you have doesn't seem that good to me...
You might want to up your budget $50 and get this bad boy instead.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=workstation_graphics-_-14-195-077-_-Product

You see the one you picked is $80 but only has 40 stream processors...
The one I have the link to there, for ~$50 more... at $130 has 320 stream processors...

8 times as many SPs for only $50 more?
Might want to think about it.

I'll put together another build for you, trying to gear it towards price/performance with an i7 build, k?

If your only using PS, stick with the 30gb its more than enough.

Yea the programs tend to add up more than the PC itself.

Thanks again guys. I chose that combo because it seemed to be the cheepest route to get all that crap together. The PSU was part of that combo. I didnt realize that was a 300 dollar case!!!! Back to the old drawing board again. My head is starting to hurt and I am so anxious to pull the trigger on this. I just timed my pc on just scrolling down the page on this forum. If I hold the down arrow, it takes 25 secs to scroll from top to bottom. Guess how long it takes to open a 450 layer pdf.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - AOC 2236vw Glossy Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 60000:1 - LCD Monitors
Newegg.com - ATI 100-505552 FirePro V3750 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card - Workstation Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Grand Total: $1,230.58

Take a look.

If you order all of this at the same time... Newegg just boxes most of it together and sends it all together as just one or two packages...
Being that you're ordering a monitor and case though... I'd expect 3-4 packages.
I guarantee you they won't all come separately though, Newegg is good about shipping orders together.

Have you ordered from Newegg before?
Generally you get stuff from them in 3 shipping days, even if it comes from Texas or California.
They're awesome.

Being that this costs less than what you picked out a minute ago, and offers pretty much all the same things + more...
Maybe you should consider throwing in that Sunbeam cooler and the 1366 retention bracket for overclocking.

Also, remember to buy an operating system >;p

But yeah, if I were you, I would definitely pick this build over the one you were going to get o_O?
bleh...

ALSO if you're mostly just using photoshop, you might want to consider a 5770, so you could have the potential to do some serious gaming if you ever decide to. :p :]
It's about the same price as the workstation card I have picked out and will deliver equal or potentially even better performance in rendering and design applications.

I need to look more into how mainstream graphics cards compare to workstation cards...
I'll give a better response in an edit in a few minutes...

OK
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4131327&cm_re=5770_ati-_-14-131-327-_-Product

I recommend you buy that over the FirePro 37XX series cards.

The 5770 WILL outperform those workstation cards in anything.

The 5770 has a higher bandwidth usage, higher pixel fillrate, higher texture fillrate, higher clock and memory speed, 1Gb of GDDR5 memory on a 128 bus width (Versus the 3750's 256Mb of GDDR3 on a 128 bus width), more SP's, probably has lower power draw as it's on 40nm versus the 3750's 55nm, AND the 5770 has the potential to be used for crossfire, supports Eyefinity, and overall just would probably kick the crap out of those two workstation cards in gaming, rendering, graphics, CAD, Photoshop, etc...

It's worth it.

**EDIT**

Here's a direct comparison of those workstation cards to the 5770.

The 5770 is the best buy here, and even a 5750 would outperform those workstation cards... And the cheapest 5750 can be had for $120-130

So I rest my case, there's no reason for you to buy a workstation card.

Antec 902 case - $119
i7 - 920 - $279
OCZ 3x 2gb - $160 - $30 mir
Corsair 650w - $99 - $10 mir
WD Caviar Black 500gb - $69 (in all honesty you probably wont use 1tb, 500gb is good for a long time)
OCZ 60gb ssd - $164 - $40 mir (but if your only using PS get the 30gb)

$890 - $80 mir = 810

If you spend what you were about to spend be4, it leaves you with $551 for the rest.

$130 for that card Shiro recommended
$170-$200 - monitor
$200 mobo or less - im not to sure which one to suggest

End cost is around $1300.

If you plan on overclocking add $90 for a better cooler than the stock.
My personal favorite is the h50 watercooler. But there is so many choices and im not getting into that debate lol

EDIT - shiro beat me to it hehe, guess i should have hit refresh after i finished typing to see =D

Shiro, all that is so Greek to me it isnt even funny. But I do appreciate the research. I really dont know much about any of it, however I have been told that the reason you dont want a gaming card is because it will actually sacrifice pixels (?) for speed. Does that make sense at all.

Shiro, all that is so Greek to me it isnt even funny. But I do appreciate the research. I really dont know much about any of it, however I have been told that the reason you dont want a gaming card is because it will actually sacrifice pixels (?) for speed. Does that make sense at all.

If you were doing 3D Modeling then a Workstation card would have some merit. But your just working with Photoshop and maybe Illustrator? A workstation card is a waste of good hard-earned cash.

At the present time I do not have any 3d rendering programs. The pc I am working on at the time will not keep up with Photoshop much less any 3d rendering. I do plan on (not right away) getting some 3d programs. I have no intention of using this computer for anything other than internet and graphic work. I do not game, so I wont need anything that will work souly for gameing. If a gameing card will work great for rendering, then I am so down for going that route, if I need to go with a workstation card, I am ok with that as well. I understand that for photoshop I do not need a high end card, but I would like to get something that will support the future software I plan on getting. Thanks for all your input and help guys.

Yeah my 4850 runs photoshop and illustrator like a dream. I should be getting a loaner copy of 3Ds max 2010 from my school tomorrow if I'm lucky, so I could post some impressions on that if you wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom