random shut downs with computer build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kage_maru189

Solid State Member
I have a Gigabyte GA-k8n-Sli Motherboard, 4gb of ram, AMD Athlon 64 proccesor, 9500gt nvidia PCI-e graphics card, 250w powersupply, a basic coolmaster fan with heatsink for the processor, plus 6 cooling fans for the tower itself. I've been having problems with random shut downs after booting this system up. It usually doesn't run longer than 10 minutes and thats if it's just sitting there or just checking my email. A friend said that he thinks the cpu is overheating cause if i let it sit for about and hour off it will run back up to it's maximum 10 minute time limit. I'm thinking it's the power supply that I have is way too small (it's all i have right now i didn't just buy a 250watt power supply haha). Any advice on why this computer is doing what it's doing would be great!

It seems like quite a load on the very weak powersupply. Just to rule out the temperatures, download a temperature monitoring program to see if there's anything going on there; but my guess is definitely the powersupply; it can't keep supplying the power your PC needs.

I downloaded Core Temp and right now in Farenheit it's sitting at 167. I'll update when it shuts down wether it was the temp or the power supply. What should be the maximum temperature for this AMD ATHLON 64?

it just shut down on me. CPU temperature was around 204 farenheit. That was with it just sitting there and doing a bit of email reading. What is the max temperature that a AMD Athlon 64 proccessor could reach before it shuts down?

Oh wow that's quite hot indeed.

Different chips have different temperature thresholds so i'm not sure exactly. But under full load it really shouldn't go past 75 Celsius (around 165 farenheit) and thats for chips that have high threshold, so there's a chance that you're way over! Which CPU it is exactly? If you don't know download CPU-Z and it'll tell you what your cpu is.

CPUID

Is the CPU fan spinning? You should remove it, dust it out, and reapply thermal paste and reattach it properly.

i have this screenshot that i took and it should have the cpuid on it : 0x20FF0

CoreTemp-Scr.png

I have already cleaned out the fan and heatsink and added thermal paste yesterday. The fan does work and as the processor gets hotter it increases rpms to compensate but it just steadily keeps rising in temperature and thats with it just sitting there not even playing any of my games or anything running really. I have checked to make sure it's installed properly and it's snug on there like it is supposed to be.

Hmm.. very strange. There might be something wrong with the sensors... have you checked the temps from the bios?

I see the low temp is 104 farenheit, which is good if it idles at that temp, but at load, it really shouldn't exceed 150.... and it looks like 160 w/ 2% load, lol.

Man i really don't know, my guess is that the sensors are messed, and the computer is shutting down because it thinks the CPU is overheating when it really isn't.

I did have a chance to boot into the bios and it stated around 92 celsius after it had only sat for about 5 minutes (only to shut down right after i saw the reading in the bios). I'm at a loss here with this honestly I just spent a decent amount of money to get this desktop going again and it starts doing this to me lol and I did feel the heatsink base right over the processor with my fingers and it was pretty hot so I don't think the sensors are messing up. I'm hoping there is a for sure way to tell what's happening cause I don't want to be wasting money on things I don't really need. This last time when it shut down it had completely stopped responding and i had to manually shut it down by holding the power button. What would cause it to heat up so much under no load really?

Well, there must be something wrong with how the heatsink is positioned...

Do you have the stock heatsinkfan? How much thermal paste did you use and what type? Are you sure you attatched it properly? lol

I see its set to 1.4 volts which is normal for a Venice, so i doubt the cpu is producing any excessive heat, there must be lack of heat dissipation... Remove the side of the case and keep it running with the case open like that. Also disconnect some of the extra case fans, don't really need more than 2.

I don't have the stock just this coolmaster fan. The heatsink is on there snug with all 3 prongs locked in on the right side and all the prongs with the lever fully engaged on the left side. It doesn't go on any other way i've actually tried lol. I used a thin layer on the back of the processor where it's in contact with the heatsink and it was in a generic container with no label (I do know it was thermal paste though a friend of mine let me use it). I did remove the side panel and disconnected all but the CPU fan and 1 tower exhaust fan and it only gained me about 1 minute of difference in the temperature raise.

Something I just noticed is that as the temperature raised up in the bios (as I was watching it the whole time) that the Fan never went over 1000 rpms. Is that normal? even at 80 celsius it was just barely at 950 give or take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom