corrupted explorer.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

mntechuser

Solid State Member
I've got a system that will not get past explorer.exe illegal operation. Is there any way to fix this w/out reinstalling windows.
From a command prompt, where would I find the registry files?
The system is running Win98

Thanks!

"The bitmap: Reloaded..."

There's no possible way to fix explorer.exe through the command prompt. However, there's a good chance you could fix that one, by starting up your computer through a different hard drive. (I just hope you have one.) I assume that you probably don't want to reinstall the os, because you think it would erase your stuff, right? That must be because you're using a system restore CD, instead of an OEM. If you can find another hard drive somewhere, and use the restore CD on that one, you can replace the currupt explorer.exe with the one from the startup disk. Good luck. :confused: :cool:

Plug the error message you get into the Microsoft website. I'm sure you'll find something about it.

In any case, if you can't sort it out with a SR, or by putting in your Windows CD and doing a repair, you can always reinstall Windows (without reformatting) and see what happens.

that or go into system.ini (via command prompt). Type edit system.ini and look for shell=explorer.exe and change that to shell=progman.exe and reboot. Should boot now to program manager. Go into file, run and type sfc to run system file checker. Just be sure to change the shell BACK to shell=explorer.exe... hopefully this will help. The exact error message, though, would also be helpful.

silence782 said:
What about SFC/scannow ?Or does that olny work with XP? Anyway, try typing this into the run command.

its sfc /scannow
it does not work in 98

killians45, check your PM :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom