new video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antimullet

Baseband Member
Hey...I wanna really boost my performance, and I've decided I'm gonna go with a new video card. So, my question is this: Is the geforce 6800GT worth the extra 100 dollars, as opposed to the 6800 for only 300? The benchmarks don't show a significant difference until 1600x1200 resolution, which I don't use anyway, but I'm guessing a year down the road, when games reach a new level, I'll probly want that extra oomph. Anyway, I'd really appreciate some opinions. Thanks :D

You can buy the 6800 and easily overclock it to a GT. So I would say no. Unless you want to buy the GT and overclock it! The GT would definatley last you awhile. Also, I would also recommend you upgrade to at least 1G of ram. I see you have 512, the new standard is 1G,...that will help a lot. 1G of pc3200 (2x512) is about $170-200 (dual channel). If you dont need dual channel, than you are can just add a stick of 512. With a gig of ram and a 6800, you can play anything out there...

Here is what I did, or am doing. I bought the eVGA 6800, knowing that I wanted the most power for the money. I concidered getting the 6800 GT but I just couldn't afford it at the time. So now I am using the eVGA Step-Up program, which lets you send in your existing card, and then pay the difference on a new card. So if I send in my 6800 which I payed $283 for, I can send it back exactly the way I got it, and buy a newer card with the $283 subtracted from the new cards price. If you do intend to use the Step-Up program make sure you read up on it first. There are rules that apply. http://www.evga.com/stepup/

I'm definitely going to go for 1 gig of RAM, but just a little while down the road...see, I'm goin one step at a time here, and I'm gonna sell my current video card, and luckily, I found a buyer. So, video card comes before RAM. unfortunately, the athlon 64 3000+ doesn't support dual channel, or at least, that's what I've read. Also, the worry I had about the 6800 vs. the GT is that the GT has 16 pipelines, not 12, and twice the memory onboard, so I figured those are things that not even overclocking can make up for. So, I suppose that's more the question: with those factors, does it make more sense to go with the GT if I find I can afford it?

oh, and I like the idea of the step-up program, except that I'm buying my card at CompUSA, since I have a gift certificate there, and they have the PNY board.

The step-up program comes straight from eVGA. It doesn't matter where you buy the card from. And yes, it would make more sense to go for the GT if you can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom