laptop shuts down after boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazkat

Solid State Member
I have a Toshiba satellite a200 that I have had for a few years. I had windows 7 installed when this started but after trying thing after thing (virus scans, system restores, opening up the laptop and cleaning out the fan/heat-sink) with no success I decided to restore it to out of the box condition with the Toshiba restore disk. That installed vista and the drivers but I still get the same thing unless I run in safe mode. please help!

Please explain more of what exactly happens.

Did you try an error check on your hard drive?

Might want to try Malwarebytes, too.

i did scan with malware bytes, all that happenes is that when i turn my computer on, any time from boot options to a minute after log in the screen goes black and and my computer re-starts. how should i check for hard disk problems?

i did scan with malware bytes, all that happenes is that when i turn my computer on, any time from boot options to a minute after log in the screen goes black and and my computer re-starts. how should i check for hard disk problems?
You got to finish the scan with Malwarebytes? If yes you can post a log in the "Virus - Spyware Protection / Detection" section. Also yes, check for hdd problems, can you run Chkdsk.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk
Notes

* Chkdsk requires exclusive access to a volume when it runs. Therefore, if one or more of the files are open on the disk that you want to check, Chkdsk displays a prompt asking if you want schedule the disk check for the next time that you restart your computer.
* Chkdsk might take a long time to run, depending on the number of files and folders, the size of the volume, disk performance, and available system resources, such as processor and memory.
* Chkdsk might not accurately report information in read-only mode.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk at the command prompt

1. Click Start, and then Run.
2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
3. Use one of the following procedures:
* To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, at the command prompt, type chkdsk, and then press ENTER.
* To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/f, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
* To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Use one of the following procedures:
* To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
* To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
* To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.
Edit: Do you get any errors or BSODs?

no errors or BSOD, i did the malware bytes scan before i restored my computer but there were no errors found, ill put the disk check on when i go to bed and leave it over night

i have tried to run disk check multiple times but it freezes every time, anything else i can do?

i had a similar problem but with a dell laptop, they had me buy a CD from there web site that restores every thing, something like a restore cd but was called something else, i cant think of right this second... but u can try to email them and tell them ur situation and im sure they will no what to do ?

yea, already have one, thats what i restored my computer with, still doing the same thing :(

even if i disable everything exept the things that run in safe mode it still does the same thing, also, when it randomly shuts down in normal mode sometimes freezes and shows a pixel checker board effect with blue and pink colours usualy instead of shuting down and re-starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom