comment Cad build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

In Runtime
I'm looking to build a workstation for cad and spend up to $2K. I'm still learning about hardware and would like opinions re: compatibility (like will the mb support the ram, etc.). I'll be upgrading the memory and graphics card later, so they're not as important. Here's what I'm considering:

EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.ca - EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Newegg.ca - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)

Newegg.ca - G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD - Desktop Memory

PNY VCQFX380LP-PCIE-PB Quadro FX 380 512MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile Workstation Video Card

Newegg.ca - PNY VCQFX380LP-PCIE-PB Quadro FX 380 512MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile Workstation Video Card - Workstation Graphics / Video Cards

OCZ Vertex Turbo OCZSSD2-1VTXT120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Retail -270/200

Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex Turbo OCZSSD2-1VTXT120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

The E760 is a waste if you're just using it in a workstation, its an overclocking board so. Better to go with something simpler like this maybe Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

And that powersupply is overkill, go with a lesser wattage to save some money.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Are you getting any standard hard drives?

The E760 is a waste if you're just using it in a workstation, its an overclocking board so. Better to go with something simpler like this maybe Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

And that powersupply is overkill, go with a lesser wattage to save some money.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Are you getting any standard hard drives?

Agree with the mobo, but not the psu, well just your choice... I'd bump it up to a 650hx/tx instead.

However, depending on if you'll run more than 2 monitors, the 850 would be the choice

I was considering that motherboard and PSU to leave room in the future to upgrade, say, to multiple monitors and as much as 24 GB of ram. Would what you suggest be sufficient?

Agree with the mobo, but not the psu, well just your choice... I'd bump it up to a 650hx/tx instead.

However, depending on if you'll run more than 2 monitors, the 850 would be the choice

How do monitors effect how big of a psu you need? That quadro card looks like a low 9000 series something so its not using much power, its even low profile so it doesn't use a power connector.

IMO with the money you save on the motherboard and psu, get a better graphics card. Though I know nothing of workstation cards, from looks of that one it looks extremely weak compared to gaming cards.

How do monitors effect how big of a psu you need? That quadro card looks like a low 9000 series something so its not using much power, its even low profile so it doesn't use a power connector.

IMO with the money you save on the motherboard and psu, get a better graphics card. Though I know nothing of workstation cards, from looks of that one it looks extremely weak compared to gaming cards.

It's not how big, but how many... Some folks can use many monitors for cad, plus even though the cards looks like a real low even, 9400, It works differently.

But, as you said, its a low profile/low power card, it doesn't need much.. But all the parts will draw decent loads.

If yuo do plan on getting better gpus than you will need more than the 550vx.. But how big is based on your plans.

I use AutoCAD everyday :D

The E760 Classified is overkill, buy the EVGA E758-A1 mobo instead. Now take the money you saved and combine it with the money already allocated for that cheap Quadro FX 380.
Newegg.ca - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The G.Skill memory you have listed has "Tall" Heatspreaders. These can cause obstruction issues with a lot of heatsinks. Save yourself from all the possible issues and save some more money for your Video card. Buy these instead.
Newegg.ca - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

Save some more money on the Power Supply and pretty soon were going to have enough cash for a good video card and you won't need to worry about SLI later :D
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Get this SSD instead, while the Vertex Turbo you have listed is faster, you'll probably never notice the difference unless you can notice milliseconds.
Newegg.ca - OCZ Agility Series OCZSSD2-1AGT120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD

You should be able to afford a new Fermi 470 GTX next month when there released, approx. $350. (Nvidia cards always seem to perform better than ATI at CAD).

Some of your links are to NewEgg Canada and some are to NewEgg USA. I gave you Canada links because that was where your 1st link sent me 2 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom