New CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraph

In Runtime
I am looking for a new CPU for my Dell Dimension 4300.

I have NO clue where to start. Can I get just a CPU, or do I have to get a new motherboard for it too?

I have a 1.6 Ghz processor, which is a bit too slow for recent games. What would you suggest? I'd like to keep the cost under $200 if possible.

It's pretty difficult to upgrade Dells. Dell makes dell computers so that you specifically have to take it to them for them to do all the ugprades which usually means money out your pocket and in theres. The motherboard will have absolutely no options, but I suggest you find out what CPU your computer can possibly be upgraded to. You'd need to call dell for that kind of information. But in a simple answer, yes technically you can just buy a CPU and put it in as long as the motherboard supports the CPU. Which if your computer isn't TOO old then it should, but like I said you might want to call dell and confirm what the highest possible CPU you can upgrade to would be

I didn't buy it. I wish I had something besides a dell really, but hey, I can live with it....as long as I can get a new processor in and working....

Has anyone actually done something like this on a Dell before?

I really need some help here.:angry:

I've actually put some RAM in my friends Dell before. It was a pain trying to find some low-end ram for his pc. It worked out in the end though. Now he has a 2.4ghz pentium4, 32mb video card, and 768mb of ram. how uneven is that? haha

I suggest a Gigabyte K8N Pro (socket 754) and an Athlon 64 2800+ or a Sempron
if the motherboard doesn't fit in the Dell case you could always get a new case for it
also, with a 1.6GHZ P4, you probbably have a particularly low end video card too
I think a 9600XT or 9800 Pro are good video cards to upgrade to, and pretty cheap too
but don't get a 9200 they just plain suck

Actually I have already bought RAM and a new video card.

It was a GeForce Ti4200. Has done pretty well so far....

If I just got a motherboard with the CPU built in, would it work, or would I still have to find compatibility?

I really need some help...I am stupid when it comes to hardware.

If I DO get a new motherboard then I have to make sure its compatible with my RAM and things like that.....Where am I supposed to find out if it is or not!?:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom