WD External Hard Drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

s2adrenaline

Beta member
Hey guys, I've been reading for hours upon hours on forums trying to find a fix to my problem but i just can't seem to. I think that my disk might actually be broken :( Anyway, I've got this WD External Hard Drive that I've been using for 3 years or so now. Last night I woke up to a crash and hard drive was on it's side. It didn't fall off of anything, just laying on it's side, but it was also in the process of playing a movie and the movie froze. I've tried everthing to get this to work again. The drive doesn't show up in My Computer, it shows up correctly under devices and printers, and then under disk management, I get this awful screen that is not allowing me to do anything. There is litterally nothing I can do to this under disk management to my knowledge. It recognizes there is a disk there, but it shows nothing where the space should be. The only option is to Initialize Disk which used to not be greyed out but now is. The Initialize Disk just came up with an error though (I think because the disk is not formatted).

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4301/diskmanagement.jpg

If someone could PLEASE help me that would be so great. I would really prefer if I didn't have to lose all of the information because my entire graphic design portfolio is stored on there, but at this point, I just want it to work again.

EDIT:
I just wanted to add that I've read the stickie, but I guess I know way less than I should to be posting on these forums. I couldn't figure out what some of that meant.

is 3 years still under warranty? If I remember right, WD has a 5 year warranty. They should be able to take your data off it and put on a new external/hdd.

However, if it is not under warranty, try breaking out the hard drive inside and try using it directly to your computer, not by usb.

You might just have damaged the sat to usb panel, not the drive. Hard drives can take quite a beating.

^ not when they're being used lol

Still, MoM's right. Try taking the drive out and plug it straight into your PC. See if it works.

^ not when they're being used lol

Still, MoM's right. Try taking the drive out and plug it straight into your PC. See if it works.

Like he said, though, not if it's under warranty. Don't want to void it.

Just making sure.

Opening the external case doesn't void the warranty (in most cases). Unless there's a specific sticker with 'Warranty Void If Seal Is Broken' on it you should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom