Black cable on my CPU heatsink is stuck? Pic included

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice,
Another question, the cpu fan seems to stop spinning sometimes but then when I remove the side of the case to look into it and look the fan starts spinning again... is this normal, do cpu fans turn on and off automatically because I thought they were always on.
I'm starting to get annoyed by the noise the cable makes with the fan so I'm probably going to get a new heat sink... (do I have to remove the thermal paste or can I use the same one that's already on the processor) other than the one already mentioned in this thread...which cpu fans do you recommend. I don't know what size it is but its the stock one that came with my intel i7 930.
Thanks,
Fertogo

Look in the bios, you should find a setting for your cpu fan speed (it is usually called Smart Fan). If it is set at anything other than Manual - 100%, then your fan speed may wavier up and down.

As for a new heatsink and fan, in what Country do you live (so we can provide you with valid shopping links). And what kind of a budget can you afford? Will you be overclocking? And yes, you'll need to replace the thermal paste but it's very easy to do.

Look in the bios, you should find a setting for your cpu fan speed (it is usually called Smart Fan). If it is set at anything other than Manual - 100%, then your fan speed may wavier up and down.

As for a new heatsink and fan, in what Country do you live (so we can provide you with valid shopping links). And what kind of a budget can you afford? Will you be overclocking? And yes, you'll need to replace the thermal paste but it's very easy to do.

Ok, I can't look in the BIOS right now because Im using a USB keyboard and it wont recognize it until I enable USB on the bios, I just ordered a PS/2 to USB adapter so I can do that.
I live in United States, Houston TX. Im looking at about $20-$30 maybe more if its worth it. I might overclock but as of right now Im satisfied with the speed of my processor and do not really need anymore.... I have 2 tubes of thermal paste laying around. (so do I just clean the old thermal paste with rubbing alcohol and put the new one in?)
Thanks again,
~Fertogo

This is as close to a stock heatsink that I see and it's $30 plus shipping.
Dynatron G785 2U Server PWM CPU Cooler - Intel® Nehalem LGA 1366 - FrozenCPU.com

I would spend the extra $10 and get this instead, it's a far superior heatsink.
Thermalright CoGage True Spirit 4-Heatpipe Core i7 CPU Cooler (Socket LGA 1156** / LGA 1366) - FrozenCPU.com

And yes, clean the old paste off with rubbing alcohol and reapply new paste. Only use as much paste as a single piece of rice.
Thanks alot I will probably get the second one due to the quality... I notice that its sideways..is the installation the same? Also, I cant see the cables on those pics but I hope it doesnt have the same thing that mine has right now :p Will I be able to overclock a little bit with that one?

WOW! That really is huge! No wander...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom