Radeon 5870 stock cooler greatly superior than Scythe Musashi ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berg#2

Beta member
Hello everyone. I've bought a musashi cooler today for my sapphire radeon 5870. i do not know what's wrong but the cooler is NOT working properly.. I've used it with and without the copper spacer, re-aplied the thermal grease, but STILL, with fans connected to the PSU running on max speed (or at least what i believe to be max speed - both controlers turned all the way to max) the gpu temps are 85ºC in under 2 mins running Furmark, againts the 63ºC provided by the stock cooler running at max fan speed or even 81ºC at 45%. I've seen instalation pics, the heatsink is touching the copper spacer which is touching the gpu processor, they are firmly secure. Please, what in the world is wrong ? The Musashi cooler cannot be inferior to stock cooling... right? ... ... At least the following link proves the superiority of the newer Scythe cooler, then the second link proves musashi to be even better:

link 1

http://translate.google.com/translat...ate.google.com

link 2

Scythe Setsugen GPU Cooler | silentpcreview.com

I'm using:

750W PSU

GA-MA78G-DS3H Motherboard

OCZ PC6400 8GB RAM

AMD Phenom Quad 9950

Sapphire Radeon 5870

Help ? :)

We have someone who frequents the boards with a musashi on his 5870, he seems pleased with it. I passed on getting an aftermarket cooler for mine because the stock one has simply amazed me. I would only go aftermarket if I was concerned about noise, because the darn thing sounds like a vacuum cleaner passed 50% speed in CCC.

yea, another member here has that cooler on a 5870 also and doesn't seem to have problems with it.

could you maybe post a pic of the gfx card? just to see how you have installed the cooler.

Well, the Installation looks similar to these pics

Scythe Musashi Dual Fan GPU Cooler [Postcript Added] | silentpcreview.com

Room temp is low, often chilly to be honest. I run my hardware with an open case, sometimes with a vertical setting, sometimes with a horizontal setting, depending on what the lowest temps. I've opted to buy another cooler and went ahead and bought Prolimatech mk-13 with thermalight vrm-r3. problem solved. Scythe staff replied to my consern about my issue with the following:

"thank you very much for your inquiry and the interest in Scythe items.

I think performance is not enough for high tdp ranges like Furmark. Musashi concept is a bit older and is not really good for 5870 with only 2 heatpipes. You can try to go for a 120 mm fan or Setsugen. Musashi is only compatible with 5850 & 5870 but not recommended for good performance with 100% Last.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or require
further information. Thank you again for your interest in Scythe item. "

additionally, this link, a reply from a moderator from Scythe:

Musashi Compatibility ATI 5870/5850 - Page 3 - Official Scythe Forum

Thanks for your replies guys, see you guys next time !:smile:

I guess that's me ;). I don't have any problems with it, at stock clocks on idle (so it's automatically downclocked) core is at 27*C right now. After 6 mins of Furmark (xtreme burn mode) core is at 52*C. The fans are on high, I'm using Tuniq TX-2 on the core and ramsinks though, which probably helps some. Ambient temps are warm though, maybe 18-20*C.

It depends on the airflow in your case too though, the Musashi blows air through the heatsink on the GPU, but then blows it back around in your case unlike the stock cooler. I have an exhaust fan on my sidepanel right by the 5870, so a majority of the hot air is blown out of the case.

^18-20C is not warm ambient temps at all lol! But those are nice temps on the card. I usually have A/C blowing at least 24c in my room and my card idles at 38-40c and load 55c with fan at 50%. The fan is pretty loud at 50% and above, but my volume is usually up or I have headphones on and can't hear it.

Yeah, it's because I'm in the basement so it gets pretty cool down he in the winter (starting to warm up now though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom