~$1000 Gaming PC, RAM suggestions needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirtualStranger

Beta member
I am currently building a desktop for Gaming/Media/Internet use. I need to maximize my price-to-performance, but still build a system powerful enough to handle almost anything I need. The unit will be part of an entertainment center, so it will be connected to a decent-sized TV.

Case – Antec 300
Motherboard – Asus M4A79XTD EVO
Processor – AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Memory - ???
Graphics Card – ATI HD5770
Opitical Drive – Sony Optiarc Black w/ Lightscribe
CPU Fan/Heatsink -???
PSU - ???

Internal Hard Drives
SSD (Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2BD 64GB)
HDD (Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD253GJ 250GB)

External Hard Drive
HDD (Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB)
Enclosure (Rosewill RX-358-S BLK(Black)

Questions;

1. Which memory would you recommend? I am trying to go for 2x2GB DDR3, with the possibility of upgrading to 4x2GB in the future if I ever deem it useful.

2. Which specific model of the Radeon 5770 would you suggest?

3.What would be a good CPU Cooler and PSU.

Feel free to make any suggestions regarding the parts I have already chosen. My decisions aren't completely final. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. yes, a 2x2gig kit of ddr3, 1333 or 1600mhz. some good brands would be ocz, g.skill, corsair, a-data.

2. any model should work. brands: sapphire, xfx, his, powercolor, asus, gigabyte.

3. a good cooler for the price; core contact freezer. psu; for a single 5770 get around a 500w psu to be safe and if you want to plan for the future to possibly run another 5770 in crossfire get a 600w+ to be safe. some reputable brands: antec, corsair, ocz, seasonic, silverstone.

question, why an external hard drive?
I need portable storage space. All of my Media (Including Movies, Tv, Music, Game Files, Ect.) will be stored on it, I'm probably going to get rid of the Interal HDD entirely, or at least get a smaller one, as its starting to seem less useful than I had originally thought

If you are asking why it's on this list, its because i copied and pasted from an office document with a list of all of my components. I figured It wouldn't hurt to add more info.

1. yes, a 2x2gig kit of ddr3, 1333 or 1600mhz. some good brands would be ocz, g.skill, corsair, a-data.

2. any model should work. brands: sapphire, xfx, his, powercolor, asus, gigabyte.
So brand does not matter at all? I might as well just get the best looking one?

3. a good cooler for the price; core contact freezer. psu; for a single 5770 get around a 500w psu to be safe and if you want to plan for the future to possibly run another 5770 in crossfire get a 600w+ to be safe. some reputable brands: antec, corsair, ocz, seasonic, silverstone.
Thanks, I definitely need to ensure flexibility in the future, so I'll probably get a 600w.

I am currently building a desktop for Gaming/Media/Internet use. I need to maximize my price-to-performance, but still build a system powerful enough to handle almost anything I need. The unit will be part of an entertainment center, so it will be connected to a decent-sized TV.

Case – Antec 300
Motherboard – Asus M4A79XTD EVO
Processor – AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Memory - ???
Graphics Card – ATI HD5770
Opitical Drive – Sony Optiarc Black w/ Lightscribe
CPU Fan/Heatsink -???
PSU - ???

Internal Hard Drives
SSD (Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2BD 64GB)
HDD (Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD253GJ 250GB)

External Hard Drive
HDD (Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB)
Enclosure (Rosewill RX-358-S BLK(Black)

Questions;

1. Which memory would you recommend? I am trying to go for 2x2GB DDR3, with the possibility of upgrading to 4x2GB in the future if I ever deem it useful.

2. Which specific model of the Radeon 5770 would you suggest?

3.What would be a good CPU Cooler and PSU.

Feel free to make any suggestions regarding the parts I have already chosen. My decisions aren't completely final. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have already posted similar builds today.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/buying-first-gaming-computer-need-help-227503/
Take a look at my first build suggestion on that thread.
I also suggest a CPU cooler, keyboard, and mouse at the bottom of the post.

#1 CASE CHOICE - Newegg.com - APEX Vortex 3620 SGCC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - Computer Cases
If I were you, I'd ditch the Antec 300, get an Apex Vortex 3620, it's a much nicer case for everything... (Except airflow...) UNLESS you add a couple fans, then it beats the 300 hands down. (It's $35 with free shipping and is a top tier mid tower.)
#2 PSU
Also, for a PSU, the Apex Vortex has NICE combo deals with Seventeam PSUs that I think you should look into.
Otherwise if you never plan on crossfiring a 500w OCZ ModXStream would work. If you plan on crossfiring in the future, go for a 600w+ PSU OCZ ModXstream would work.
(I suggest the OCZ PSUs because there are combo deals with optical drives to get them cheaper.)

#3 RAM

If I were you, I'd get the OCZ Black Edition RAM or some other RAM with either 1600Mhz CL8 or 1333 Mhz CL7 from a high end RAM company like Corsair, G. Skill, or Geil.

#4 GPU

Whichever 5770 you can combo cheapest.
(Avoid Diamond, go for Powercolor, Sapphire, ASUS, Gigabyte, XFX, HIS)

#5 CPU COOLER

As someone else suggested, go with the Core Contact Freezer by Sunbeam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom