Black cable on my CPU heatsink is stuck? Pic included

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertogo

Baseband Member
Hello, its me from this thread
http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/will-these-computer-parts-work-together-227105/
In which I asked if the computer parts I chose where compatible. I received alot of help from you guys and I really appreciate it. I got the parts yesterday and successfully put the computer together, I installed windows and now Im typing this from my new computer...
I have one question though, about the CPU heatsink (the fan on top of the cpu)
I was using my computer yesterday and all fans were spinning then I heard a weird noise and about 2 minutes later my computer shut off with no warning. I knew that It had to be from overheating but why? turns out that somehow the black cable of the CPU fan went "around" the fan...I have no idea how but it is only the black one...all the other ones are fine. I positioned the wire so It would not make contact with the fan, but no matter what it still does...right now its barely making contact with the fan, I can hear a light sound of the fan spinning against that cable but the fan is still spinning. Even though it is spinnning and everything is working I am still worried because I have an intel core i7 930 and I really do not want it to fry :cry:
Since its hard to explain how the wire looks here is a picture the redline represents where the black wire and the white one means the black wire is under something
Heres the picture
http://i39.tinypic.com/18bse0.jpg
Again, Thanks alot for all your help...

~Fertogo

hm that's weird. could you not just untangle the wire from the plastic part?

happy to hear that the rest of your build went well though :).

tie the excess wire up so it can't reach the fan blades.
temp1.jpg

hm that's weird. could you not just untangle the wire from the plastic part?

happy to hear that the rest of your build went well though :).
Nope its really weird, I have no idea how the cable could have gotten there because there is now way of getting it out...
Should I not worry about it, get another heatsink..or fix it somehow.? (like cutting the wire and then wrapping it back together idk..?
Thanks for all your help

tie the excess wire up so it can't reach the fan blades.
temp1.jpg
Thanks Im going to do that but I still have a black cable stuck in the fan.
Makes no sense how the wire could have gotten stuck there because I took the heatsink out and there is no way of getting it out...
PS: I have another question with the stock intel heat sink when your putting it in the motherboard, the little "sticks" have arrows that you have to turn, if its turned the way the arrow points does that mean it is locked in place or it is open...?

honestly it looks like a shoddy design on the manufacturers part. you might try a small zip tie to tie it up, but after that, start looking for a new fan. what size is it? I found this fan a while back, heard some really good stuff about it if you wanted to go the replacement route. Delta 120 x 25mm High-Speed PWM Fan - 150.33 CFM (FFB1212EH) - FrozenCPU.com
if you don't, then the zip tie will work as long as it's fairly small

cut the black wire, untangle it, splice or solder it back together. Just make sure you cut it so that there is still room to trim some of the insulation.

honestly it looks like a shoddy design on the manufacturers part. you might try a small zip tie to tie it up, but after that, start looking for a new fan. what size is it? I found this fan a while back, heard some really good stuff about it if you wanted to go the replacement route. Delta 120 x 25mm High-Speed PWM Fan - 150.33 CFM (FFB1212EH) - FrozenCPU.com

That Delta fan pushes alot of air but it sounds like the Space Shuttle Launching :D

Should I not worry about it, get another heatsink..or fix it somehow.? (like cutting the wire and then wrapping it back together idk..?

either fix it somehow? or buy a new one I guess
very unfortunate event

don't forget to post some pictures of your new pc, we love pictures here

Wait.. so it had to have come like that right? it could t have been my fault because there is no way for getting it out..
Thanks I will try to get the ziptie to work

cut the black wire, untangle it, splice or solder it back together. Just make sure you cut it so that there is still room to trim some of the insulation.

That Delta fan pushes alot of air but it sounds like the Space Shuttle Launching :D
Ok, so i cut it with scissors and then trim the black plastic surrounding the wire and then twist the wire back together? do I need any special tools for that

either fix it somehow? or buy a new one I guess
very unfortunate event

don't forget to post some pictures of your new pc, we love pictures here

Yes, I will post pictures of my new PC here very soon :)

wrap the exposed wires up with tape so they dont short out anything.

Thanks I did that and it seemed that when I put too much tension on the wire it would now work, but I managed to get it to work...looks like its perfect now... hope it stays like that

PS: I see in your sig u have a i7 920 running @ 4.2 g
how did u manage to overclock it that much without it overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom