Laptop won't boot after new memory install, NEED HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen 73

Beta member
I have a Gateway NX570X Laptop, it came installed with only 1 GB memory in 2x512MB sticks, 80 GB HDD, running Vista Home Premium 32 bit OS. I called an online store and told them what i had and that I wanted to upgrade storage and memory, he sent me a WD 320/5400 HDD and a stick of Kingston 1 GB/667 and a stick of 2GB/667. I got the memory in last night and the computer would not boot. I have yet to clone the HDD and install it yet, still perplexed by that idea. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Chris

OK, tried each singularly and each is fine, tried reinstalling both again but in different slots, still no dice...any other ideas? Thanks much.

Chris

Might be a crappy suggestion and have nothing to do with the issue, but maybe they didn't work because of the different size limits? Sticks before were 256MB each, now you're installing 2 different size which are 1GB and 2GB.

If they are dual slots, that might be...

Edit: Just thought of something. Is there a setting in BIOS to set it to dual or seperate slots?

Reading up on the Dual-Channel support, and seems it doesn't matter the capacity of the modules once it has the same timing, it should work; so scratch my idea from above :(.

Reading the specs for your laptop: https://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Q106/Oasis/1014077Rsp6.shtml
It said:
Memory:
* 533 and 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
* Dual channel capable
* Two 200-pin SODIMM sockets on motherboard
* Both sockets end-user accessible
* Expandable to 2 GB DDR2

My question is, is it expandable to 2GB per slot or total is 2GB? If total is 2GB, then you installed 3GB and it would not work, but if it's the other option...well I'm not too sure.

Guys...I appreciate all of your help on this and I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner on the posts. What bothers me is that i bought 3 GB of RAM based on what an "expert" at TD told me I could do. He actually said that Icould put 4 GB in but that it wouldn't be fully used so I just bought the 2 GB and the 1 GB. Now I am only using 2 GB in one slot...it seems to be working fine though. It does seem that the thing can only manage 2 GB max though. Thanks again for all of the help.

Chris

Guys...I appreciate all of your help on this and I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner on the posts. What bothers me is that i bought 3 GB of RAM based on what an "expert" at TD told me I could do. He actually said that Icould put 4 GB in but that it wouldn't be fully used so I just bought the 2 GB and the 1 GB. Now I am only using 2 GB in one slot...it seems to be working fine though. It does seem that the thing can only manage 2 GB max though. Thanks again for all of the help.

Chris
Where did you go?

Sadly there are a lot of people in the IT field that believe they are experts, but they end us screwing over customers because they don't know things like RAM limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom