Radeon X800 XT Issues....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Philbar71, quick question, does it make a difference that the HD 4870 has 256-bit memory over the HD 5770's 128-bit memory? Also, doesn't tech-forums place the HD 4870 one step up from the HD 5770 on their graphics card performance list? Or have you had a different experience with the 5770?

I only have moderate knowledge of graphics cards, so any info you provide is greatly appreciated. :)

The_Rogue_Ninja

MoM? I just ran a Sandra diagnostic on my ATI Radeon X800 XT, and there was a warning telling me that the card's BIOS is out of date and that updating it could improve performance and possibly fix bug issues. I don't think this will help my problem, but I am willing to try anything at this point.

I am having a difficult time finding a site where I can download a BIOS update. Also, I do not know the manufacturer of my card. I looked at the box and even took out the card to see if there was a sticker or label with the manufacturer's name, but I did not see any. Here is a picture of the card I own:

http://www.3dnews.ru/documents/7351/radeon-x800xt-front-big.jpg.

Is there any way to find out the manufacturer?

I did not buy my X800 XT (it's an AGP card, so it would be very difficult to find one today) in 2010. I purchased it in the fall of 2008 to upgrade my old Dell Dimension 8300. I do all of my video editing on that system, Adobe After Effects rendering has always been a s-l-o-w process, so I decided to buy a better graphics card and upgrade my RAM.

It's really annoying to have pixel artifacts all over the display, and that's what's been happening with my X800 XT, so I've been intensively working to fix it. I will try updating the card's video BIOS, and see if that changes anything. I've never done this before, but I'm up to the challenge.

Wish me luck! :)

The_Rogue_Ninja

I have found out the manufacturer of my X800 XT is Connect3D, and I have downloaded the correct BIOS update. I am having difficulty flashing the BIOS, though.

I'm using the latest version of Flashrom (ver 2.40), and when I use the command "flashrom -i", I get the info about my video adapter number (0). When I look at the serial flash ROM, it's marked as being 'locked', and I was wondering if that is hampering my ability to update the BIOS? If so, does anyone here know how to unlock the serial flash rom?

Thanks for any help offered!

The_Rogue_Ninja

I have found out the manufacturer of my X800 XT is Connect3D, and I have downloaded the correct BIOS update. I am having difficulty flashing the BIOS, though.

I'm using the latest version of Flashrom (ver 2.40), and when I use the command "flashrom -i", I get the info about my video adapter number (0). When I look at the serial flash ROM, it's marked as being 'locked', and I was wondering if that is hampering my ability to update the BIOS? If so, does anyone here know how to unlock the serial flash rom?

Thanks for any help offered!

The_Rogue_Ninja

Not sure about that, but if you're getting artifacts then your card is failing. Usually memory failure. I would highly suggest getting a new card. But you won't find many AGP cards around anymore..

I had a Sapphire X800, and after that card, I probably will never buy another ATI product.. I've been debating on it but I had such a horrible experience with it.

Thanks, mack.

I've been suspicious of my X800 XT failing for a while, but I'm still unsure about it. I agree with you that it probably is failing, but I want to check every possibility to make sure it isn't salvageable before letting it go. I was a noob with computer-tech-know-how when I first installed the card, so it probably is something I did and I won't be able to remedy it. This is a good lesson for me to learn, though: "Don't rush into something without doing any research".

I sure am glad that this isn't my main PC. LOL

The_Rogue_Ninja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom