Building first high end desktop! Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max13588

Beta member
Hey guys,

I'm building my first desktop, and was wanted to ask if all of these parts will work together, and will this be a successful gaming computer? Here's my list:

(I'm not sure what is vital info, so I just listed the entire product title)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel Core i7/ Core i5/ Core i3/ LGA 1156/ Intel H57/ 4DDR3-2200+/ATI CrossFireX/ HDMI/ USB3.0/ Raid Micro ATX Motherboard GA-H57M-USB3

CPU: Intel Core i5 Processor 2.66 GHz 8 MB LGA1156 CPU I5-750BOX

Case: Cooler Master RC-922M-KKN1-GP HAF 922M ATX Mid Tower Case

Power supply:Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870 PCIE 1024MB GDDR5

RAM: Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 XMS3 4 GB PC3-12800 Core i5 Memory Kit

Hard Drive: Western Digital 500 GB Caviar Black SATA 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD5001AALS

Wireless Card: D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter (I plan on connecting to my home's 'already set up' wireless network with this)

Thanks A Lot!

Go with a Western Digital Black drive instead of a Blue. The Black's are faster, but only come in 500GB or bigger. It would be worth the extra cash, though.

You are missing an optical drive and an operating system. I would recommend going with Win7, of course. You may want to look at swapping out the 4870 for a 5770 as the 5xxx series are DX11 while the 4xxx are DX10. I would recommend going with XFX as the brand as they offer a lifetime warranty of their ATI cards.

Looks good overall.

Thanks for the quick response, I really appreciate it! Great advice on the card, same price but better. Any recommendations on optical drives?

Avoid LG (personal experience). Go with a SATA drive. It is hard to find a bad optical, though. Just get a DVD burner and don't sweat the speeds as the differences are negligible.

I'd get a WD Caviar Black HDD over a 250Gb Caviar Blue?. (Probably the 640Gb)

(Definitely get a larger HDD, you get a better deal per dollar at the higher disk capacities.

I'd get either a 5770 or 5850 over the 4870.
(4870 outperforms the 5770 in raw performance, but the 4870 doesn't have DirectX11 support)

You don't need a 750w PSU unless you plan on doing crossfire in the future.
And even then a 650w would tie you over for crossfire 5770's.

Otherwise a decent 500w PSU would work for you just fine.

Thanks for the feedback. Alright, I just updated the parts list. I changed the Hard Drive to a WD Caviar Black - 500GB and changed the PSU to 650 Watts. I want to keep my options open for the crossfire, so I wont go down to 500 Watts.

Just more one question:

First, would I be able to hook this up to my 46" Samsung LCD? I know the motherboard has HDMI input, but I want to know if it would look good.

Anyway thanks again for all the help, I look forward to hearing more great advice

First, would I be able to hook this up to my 46" Samsung LCD? I know the motherboard has HDMI input, but I want to know if it would look good.

just so you know, if you're going to use it as a monitor, you would need to connect it directly to a port on the gfx card.

plus, it doesn't matter if the mobo has hdmi or not, you wouldn't be able to use it with an i5 750 anyway.

if the gfx card you buy doesn't have an hdmi port, it should come with an adapter in the box.

Thanks for the feedback. Alright, I just updated the parts list. I changed the Hard Drive to a WD Caviar Black - 500GB and changed the PSU to 650 Watts. I want to keep my options open for the crossfire, so I wont go down to 500 Watts.

Just more one question:

Anyway thanks again for all the help, I look forward to hearing more great advice

Woops, just noticed this.
No, I don't think it would work from the motherboard because the i5 - 750 doesn't have an integrated GPU, so the output ports on the motherboard wouldn't display anything.

(i5 - 750's were developed before Intel started integrating GPU's on to the CPU chip, so i5 - 750's were developed for the 1156 P55 motherboards.
The H55, H57 motherboards are for the newer CPU's that Intel developed with integrated GPUs on the chips.
Such as the i3 - 530, i3 -540, i5 - 660, i5 - 650)

HOWEVER V
HOWEVER, you can use the HDMI output on the 5770 and everything will work fine and YOU CAN use the LCD TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom