comp wont fully load....explorer.exe prob...HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctek681

Solid State Member
hey i'm running windows xp home and i for some reason my windows wont load up fully. it starts out really slow in the blue "windows is starting up" window. then after a couple minutes a message pops up: explorer.exe-entry point not found Procedure entry point SHCreateThreadRef could not be located in the dynamic link library. SHLWAPI.dll. After i click OK to get out of the message i just get my usual background wallpaper on my desktop. There is no icons or anything. Then i tried ctrl-alt-del and got to the windows task manager and there was no applications running. So i tried to open a new task or application and it gives me the same explorer.exe-entry point not found message. i have no idea what i should do. should i reinstall windows? but could i do it without reformating? is it a virus? also i recently installed the windows service pack 2. i don't know if that has anything to do with it. please help me out. i tried calling the windows virus support line and they weren't helpful at all.

umm... i dunno but i think you have a virus or f***ed up your system. If there is any thing on it get another hard drive and set the originall one to slave and copy all your stuff. After thats done set the normall HD back to master and put in the Windows Xp disk. See if there is a rescue option to fix the damaged files. If you cant get that to work you hhave yourf files and just re install windows.

how do i get rid of sp2? i tried to boot up in safe mode and last known good config but still ended up with the same message. any other suggestions?

safe mode lately has just been a joke. sadly, i hope you salvaed as much as you could on backup. reinstall windows, and or reimage your drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom