Whats the BEST laptop for me? (Help needed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1785545 said:
That's not bad, but the GT 335M is worse than the ASUS gaming laptop with the GTX 260M I suggested earlier. (Scoring 9000~ on 3dmark vs the GTX 260M's 14000~)
However, having good battery life makes that a very nice choice.
Good suggestion. :]
+1

Yeah, the M11x certainty isn't the all out fastest laptop you can get but you would be hard pressed to find a 11.6" 4.5lb laptop with better performance.

Like I mentioned earlier, I can get Windows XP without much problem.

But, people like to push Windows 7 for whatever reason I do not know. I have had multiple experiences with Windows 7 and all of which have been negative. I do not enjoy it one bit.

Like I mentioned earlier, it has trouble installing basic software such as Java, AVG, ZoneAlarm and Limewire. These few pieces of software are essential to me as a person and I have found that although LM does not run ZoneAlarm or AVG, it does have programs that make up for it.

I found the security is pretty nice to.

Microsoft isn't my company of choice as I have had problems with a lot of their computer products.

If you know of any other OS's that could take the place of Microsoft, please be sure to tell me.

But back on topic, I do like the ASUS ohris mentioned earlier and I think I will be purchasing it.

But, people like to push Windows 7 for whatever reason I do not know. I have had multiple experiences with Windows 7 and all of which have been negative. I do not enjoy it one bit.

Like I mentioned earlier, it has trouble installing basic software such as Java, AVG, ZoneAlarm and Limewire. These few pieces of software are essential to me as a person and I have found that although LM does not run ZoneAlarm or AVG, it does have programs that make up for it.

Microsoft isn't my company of choice as I have had problems with a lot of their computer products.

If you know of any other OS's that could take the place of Microsoft, please be sure to tell me.

But back on topic, I do like the ASUS ohris mentioned earlier and I think I will be purchasing it.

I think it was recertified?
So be careful with it, you have a limited warranty.

There are no operating systems that can take the place of Windows at this point in time.
Ubuntu's trying very hard, but Microsoft has patents in place to keep Ubuntu from overtaking it, also the Windows kernel isn't currently open source, so I wouldn't expect Linux to be using standard .exe or .msi files anytime soon.

Also, Linux has poor driver support for many popular products, though they are getting better about it...

Also, AVG installs on Windows 7 quite easily, as does Java, and Limewire.
I don't personally know about Zone Alarm, but I'm sure there's a way.

Next time you are trying to install old programs on a new operating system ;p right click the installation file and go to properties, then go to compatibility, and click to run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP or Vista.

(Depending on if you have 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7, if you have Windows 7 32 bit, run it in compatibility for Windows XP 32 bit, if you have Windows 7 64 bit, run it in compatibility mode for Windows Vista 64 bit, as Windows XP 64 bit was a botched together OS and it's compatibility was very shoddy)

After you do that, those programs should install without a hitch.
Also, to keep you from clicking on one extra check box you should also click to run the installation file as an administrator.

I'm currently running 7 on 4 systems, 3 of which are 64bit and haven't encountered any problems installing programs on it. In fact I haven't had any problems with 7 going all the way back to the beta early last year. I haven't had this few problems with any other os whether it's XP or Linux.

The reason I specifically mentioned 7 and not windows in general is XP is no longer a suitable os for laptops. It's been close to 4 years since it was available on most laptops and as a result driver support will be nearly non existent.

If you do decide to go with Mint be aware that Ableton is not available for linux.

Wow, this whole thread has been eye opening for me :)

I appreciate a lot of your input and Ohris and Puddle both deserve +1. I really really appreciate your time and hopefully I've have a good knowledge of laptops like you some day :p

Thanks everyone, my question has been answered! ^^

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before but if you want to use Mint but need 7 for compatibility you could always dual boot and run them both. It's not a perfect solution since you have to reboot every time you need to do something with the other os but it's the closest you can get to the best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom