Chat/Messenger Clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze

Beta member
hello all .. a n00b to the forum here. so i apologize if this has already been asked. i tried search and could not find anything relevant in the first 10 pages or so after which i gave up ..

with that being said, here is my problem.. my work place has a firewall setup so that we cant chat using MSN, Yahoo, AIM etc. It also doesnt allow us to load java chat applets. that means i cant go to chat rooms such as Yahoo! Chat or any other ones. i've tried several different messengers and java chat clients and none of them work. i guess they have blocked the ports that these things use... (sorry i dont know what the blocked port numbers are).

anyway, my question is .. what are my alternatives? i tried using "telnet chat" through which i'm able to connect and chat with others but the problem is... i dont want to chat with a whole bunch of ppl that i dont know. i just want to chat with some of my friends privately. so i would like to know if there is any place where i can setup some sort of "chat room" using telnet etc. or if there are any softwares out there (for Win XP) that would allow me to bypass/aviod the blocked ports or even the firewall.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

hmm .. i dont think that would help coz in telnet chat i would not be able to have a "private" chat .. other users logged in can see our conversations. now if you know of any telnet chat servers that allow its users to create a private chat room, then that would help me. thanks for the suggestion though.

on and btw ... another option that i thought of... was remoting into my dekstop at home (with VPN) and using the messenger through my home PC, but that wont work since my bro uses the PC at home, so I can't be remoting into it while he is trying to use it. just incase if any of u thought of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom