R.I.P.8800gts? I hope not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

small256

In Runtime
Hey guys,
So, as of two days ago, my PC has developed an interesting problem... it started whilst playing a game. The screen started flashing wildly and eventually settled on showing hundreds of diagonal, red, dotted lines on a black screen. And it crashed.

On restarting, it was still like it, so I turned it off at the wall and waited a while. After switching on, it was fine.

It then happened again a couple of hours later. So I did the same thing, turn off and on.

Now, after the third or fourth time, I was getting pretty peeved... so I installed (or thought I had) new drivers for my monitor. On restarting, the lines were now in four vertical bands of red lines and I had poor colour and poor resolution.

I've since uninstalled and reinstalled the latest graphics card drivers to no avail.
Yesterday I had a brief respite (after uninstalling the monitor's colour management program thingy) when it was all working correctly again, only to go back to 'broken' the next time I turned it on.

Below is a picture which shows the lines, how they 'stick' if you move a window over them and how they change colour depending on what colour they sit on.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3622/badtimes.jpg

Anything else...

Device manager says 'This device cannot start. (Code 10)' ... no kidding.

I don't have driver discs with me, I've been using downloaded versions/windows update to find them.

Seems either your gfx card or monitor is kicking the bucket. Have you tried it on an external display? To see if the lines still show? If not, then maybe it's your monitor...if yes, then it mostly is your card.

I took -everything- out this morning and cleaned it all.

I also assumed it wasn't the monitor as it doesn't show up over the monitor's OSD, though I haven't tried it another yet as there's not another I can test it on at the mo. The monitor is also quite new - it doesn't mean it's not broken of course, but I'd be surprised.

Well just try in case when you get chance, but since it doesn't show up over the monitor's OSD...best culprit points to your GFX card. So sad but true, it maybe is kicking the bucket :(. Have you tried going into safe mode and see if the lines are still there?

Got the idea from the post below on a separate thread:
Does the line showup in the same place in safemode?
Does the line showup when you connect the laptop to an external monitor?

If it shows up in safemode and on an external monitor, your graphics card is shot.
If it shows up in safemode and not on an external monitor, your screen is shot.
IF it doesn't show up in safemode it is a software conflict / issue, try doing a system restore to a point before this occured.

Yeah I tried it in safe mode yesterday. I think that's actually the exact same post I found! Sadly the lines are still there. It is pretty old now, and... well loved! So maybe it really is dying on me... the other thing is, it has different sets of lines on the logo that appears at the POST screen, the text on the POST screen and various other bits of startup is messed up as well. I'll upload a photo shortly.

I'll check on a different monitor when I can.

I'm not sure about the overheating, but I can check. It just seems odd that it would start up 'from cold' like this.

EDIT: Link to a picture of more madness... (apologies for the quality!) http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/8396/morebadtimes.jpg

If you get to a point where you know the card is at fault and there's no warranty or other hope of fixing it you could try baking it. I just baked my 8800GT a few days ago (385 deg for 10 min) and it fixed it. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it works. Good luck!

If you get to a point where you know the card is at fault and there's no warranty or other hope of fixing it you could try baking it. I just baked my 8800GT a few days ago (385 deg for 10 min) and it fixed it. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it works. Good luck!

lol, you HAVE GOT to be kidding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom