Whats the BEST laptop for me? (Help needed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durniok

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, I would like to first start off with thanking you for taking the time to view my thread! I am still new to computer hardware so I need a bit of assistance.

Anyway, my question is;

What's the best laptop for me? I like:

I like music (I plan on purchasing Ableton Suite), gaming, photo editing, browsing the web and I am learning C++ right now.

So, based on all of these things that I like to do, what would be the best laptop for me? I am on a 600-700 dollar budget. (If the computer is like 725 dollars don't worry about it.)

All recommendations are welcome, but please back up why it's "the best" with some personal experience preferably. :thumbsup:

Again, I thank everyone for their time and hopefully we can find what laptop best suits me!

What games are you playing? For a 600-700 budget, you won't get the top of the line.

I would recommend any ASUS, personally.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1785411 said:

Ohris, you've been more than good to me so far, and I really appreciate you're input on my threads :p

So how good do you think the one for 775 dollars you mentioned is? Also, I really don't care about the OS as I plan on downloading Linux Mint. It's a really smooth operating system and barely takes up any space compared to Windows.

If I was willing to spend the 800 on that Asus would it be worth it? Obviously there are better laptops out there, but just how much better are they?

Thanks again for helping me out everyone!

Ohris, you've been more than good to me so far, and I really appreciate you're input on my threads :p

So how good do you think the one for 775 dollars you mentioned is? Also, I really don't care about the OS as I plan on downloading Linux Mint. It's a really smooth operating system and barely takes up any space compared to Windows.

If I was willing to spend the 800 on that Asus would it be worth it? Obviously there are better laptops out there, but just how much better are they?

Thanks again for helping me out everyone!

Well the CPU is good enough for a couple virtual machines, it's a fairly decent processor, albeit last gen.
I've used the P8700 for PS2 emulation with an Intel GMA 4500 and I got playable framerates lol.

Now, that $775 Asus has a graphics card/GPU that blows away the graphics in all of the other laptops suggested in this thread.
However, if you'll just be using Linux it doesn't make much of a difference...

*Note
ATI cards generally do not play well with Linux due to lack of driver support for Linux or very beta drivers for Linux that are not supported beyond one or two versions.

So if you won't be using Windows, and will just be using Linux you may want to aim for a laptop with an Nvidia GPU or one of the new Intel i3/i5 processors for graphics.

Also, if your primary OS will be Linux Mint, what games will you be playing exactly?
Unless you're running X Plane or something I can't think of many graphically demanding games that run on Linux.

So if you're playing low end games or games that run on Linux, you don't really need the power of the GTX 260M in the Asus laptop.
However, if you'll have a Windows partition for some hardcore gaming or more mainstream games, you may want to consider it.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1785532 said:
Well the CPU is good enough for a couple virtual machines, it's a fairly decent processor, albeit last gen.
I've used the P8700 for PS2 emulation with an Intel GMA 4500 and I got playable framerates lol.

Now, that $775 Asus has a graphics card/GPU that blows away the graphics in all of the other laptops suggested in this thread.
However, if you'll just be using Linux it doesn't make much of a difference...

*Note
ATI cards generally do not play well with Linux due to lack of driver support for Linux or very beta drivers for Linux that are not supported beyond one or two versions.

So if you won't be using Windows, and will just be using Linux you may want to aim for a laptop with an Nvidia GPU or one of the new Intel i3/i5 processors for graphics.

Also, if your primary OS will be Linux Mint, what games will you be playing exactly?
Unless you're running X Plane or something I can't think of many graphically demanding games that run on Linux.

So if you're playing low end games or games that run on Linux, you don't really need the power of the GTX 260M in the Asus laptop.
However, if you'll have a Windows partition for some hardcore gaming or more mainstream games, you may want to consider it.

I have had terrible luck with Windows. I have had a few encounters with machines that did not want to run Java, install certain programs (Limewire, frostwire), and wouldn't play most games.

But maybe it's luck of the draw, but I am not running Linux Mint on my girlfriends computer and she says she loves it. It's faster, neater, runs easier. I have to agree with her, because her old version of Windows 7 was terrible...

Now if compatibility with the OS is a problem I am probably find a different one. Like Windows xp. But the main reason I chose Linux is it's simplicity... And it's free.

I have had terrible luck with Windows. I have had a few encounters with machines that did not want to run Java, install certain programs (Limewire, frostwire), and wouldn't play most games.

But maybe it's luck of the draw, but I am not running Linux Mint on my girlfriends computer and she says she loves it. It's faster, neater, runs easier. I have to agree with her, because her old version of Windows 7 was terrible...

Now if compatibility with the OS is a problem I am probably find a different one. Like Windows xp. But the main reason I chose Linux is it's simplicity... And it's free.

Well in your first post you mention gaming.
Gaming + Linux aren't generally associated with each other, except in cases of WINE, WoW, and a few other random gems.

You do realize most games will not run on Linux, right?

If portability is a concern the Alienware M11x is unbeatable. It offers gaming laptop performance in a netbook sized system while still managing to have excellent t battery life. It's over your budget but imo it's worth spending a little more for.

Alienware M11x Laptop Details | Dell

I recommend sticking with Windows 7 64bit since Mint isn't compatible with the vast majority of games or the audio software you mentioned earlier.

If portability is a concern the Alienware M11x is unbeatable. It offers gaming laptop performance in a netbook sized system while still managing to have excellent t battery life. It's over your budget but imo it's worth spending a little more for.

Alienware M11x Laptop Details | Dell

I recommend sticking with Windows 7 64bit since Mint isn't compatible with the vast majority of games or the audio software you mentioned earlier.

That's not bad, but the GT 335M is worse than the ASUS gaming laptop with the GTX 260M I suggested earlier. (Scoring 9000~ on 3dmark vs the GTX 260M's 14000~)
However, having good battery life makes that a very nice choice.
Good suggestion. :]
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom