Compaq Armada M700 failure.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

policetac

Beta member
Started like a bad virus. Final fix, re-install att. HD wouldn't allow format. Now on boot, get "Disk read error, Ctrl/alt/del to restart" (Repeat) So," try CD install XP just to see, but get as far as "Press any key to install" then blank screen for as long as I keep it going. BIOS is default, and I do get "splash screen" etc. so it's not Vid card, but what is it? Probably HD, but, how to know for sure before I buy a new one? Can I do anything in DOS or any other way to make sure it's not the system? Any clues? Thanks. W/supply more info if needed.

Just downloaded it to my other PC's HD, gotta put it on to a disk. But? How does it open? Is it self opening? Probably should read the instructions hugh? lol I probably can't get a disk until tonight, 'till then, can anybody tell me if there is anything I'm going to need to do to this download prior to writing it to disk? No. I don't have a floppy on the damaged PC. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna try and let you all know. Thank you. policetac

Ok, here's what I've tried so far. I'm on dial-up and GParted is kinda big so I tried a few other things instead. 1st ran XP again just to see. Same thing. So, I figured, DOS. Was gonna run NTFS4DOS, but didn't figure I had any commands available. So, I tried to install DOS 6.22. Got a "Disk read error" restart error mssg. Then figured, everything boots off Win 98, so I tried a 98 boot disk. Same result. Next I tried to run just a regular disk (Printer driver) same thing.
XP again, it tried, but went blank again just after it said it was inspecting my hardware.
I did notice a few things though. I did get two post beeps at the very first power on. When trying the XP disk, my HD lights were on. But when the screen went blank, the lights went out and stayed out. Also, I think the CD also stopped running. The only sound I can hear seems to be the system fan.
Since then, I've simply kept it on to see if it's just taking forever. No changes after 2 hours.
What's next? Still try GParted?
Thanks.
policetac
Ok, just tried one more thing. I popped the CD to see if it was off. Yes it was but started when I popped it back in. No change in the lights or the screen and the CD stopped again after about 10-15 seconds.

Ok, you're not gonna believe this. I figured, "What the heck! I'll pull the Hard drive completely out and see if it even turns on." Not only did it turn on, but I got to the BIOS. "Ok, I said, set defaults and see how far it goes." Regular disk read error, but instead of CTL/ALT/DEL to restart, it said check and press any key. K, nothing, same mssg. Then tried DOS. Same mssg. THEN TRIED XP DISK! Figured I'd get the blank after checking system again right? NO!!!! IT'S ACTUALLY TRYING TO LOAD MY XP!!!!!! At setup, recover, or exit, I hit setup. Sure enough all it says is it didn't find a HD. Ok, rebooted, then at the same place, put in the old HD. Hit Recovery. Still said no HD. Check conections, power, etc. Well, I've had BIOS in other systems not see bad HD's, this BIOS simply doesnt have a listing for installed devices (Old, Basic, BIOS). So, I'll assume it's just bad, Install a new one and try again. Needless to say, apperantly it is the HD for sure. I don't know exactly what, but a new one is my obvious next fix attempt. Wierd hugh? Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom