need advice for gaming pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alienufo

Baseband Member
hey guys, I'm gonna be building a gaming PC in about 2 weeks, and I need some suggestions for parts. I've never built my own PC from scratch before, but I have installed various components into my current one including video cards, ram, and hard drives.

Anyway, Im looking to spend about $1000. I do need a copy of windows 7, but I already have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard that I'm gonna use, so don't include any of those things. keep in mind I'm probably gonna want to upgrade stuff on it a few years down the road also.

thanks in advance.

At that price point, you should be looking at a phenom II in an AM2+ board with DDR2 1066. Ati's 5750 and 5770 are nice cards for under $150, so you might want to go with just one of those and a good 500-600W PSU and avoid dual card stuff in your build. It's hard to get an i5 build under $1000, especially if you need to buy windows 7.

Here's a solid base to start with,

Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Desktop Memory

GFX Card: Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

DVD/CD Drive Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Writer LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners

Windows 7 Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

This tallies @ $866.92 (everything above has free shipping)

You'll need a decent case so you've got about $120 to play with (case shipping is steep).

I would suggest this as it also comes with free shipping:big_smile: : Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black Steel, ABS Plastic, Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

With a AM3 and Crossfire compatible motherboard you'll have the option of upgrading the CPU when AMD comes out with the next big winner and also for GFX just slap another video card in (it doesn't even have to be a HD5770, you can hybrid xFire a higher end card into your system when prices drop)

thanks, id like a few other opinions as well. How does the Phenom compare to the i5 and i7? What about nvidia vs ATI? I've always had an ATI but I dont really know the differences.

The the phenom II series are the mainstay price/performance category.

The i7 series are the rulers of the CPU market out of the budget unless you want to really gimp it on other parts of your computer.

The i5 is just a more mainstream rendition from Intel, a i5 750 is somewhat faster than the Phenom II x4 955 I suggested but would also add another $100- $150 on your budget.

Whether or not you'll need an i5? I doubt it.

ATI is the new king of the graphics card playground. nVidia had ATI subdued for about 2 or 3 years mainly due to the release of the GTX295, but as far today, ATI has captured the performance crown at nearly every price level.

yeah, thats a lil too steep for me. Guess I'll have to decide between the phenom 2 and i5 then.

IMO go with a phenom II and AM3, since AM3 is AMD's main socket. 1156 and the i5 will always be mid-range, AMD's next platform "bulldozer" is supposed to be AM3 as well. Although the i5s do beat PIIs; if all your doing is gaming primarily its best to spend more on a video card anyways. The performance difference isn't all that noticeable between mid-high end cpus, but video cards make a huge difference in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom