Upgrading A Dinosoar

Status
Not open for further replies.

PunkTech

Solid State Member
Please forgive me if I have posted this thread in the wrong section.

Well my laptop gave out and so I am now using my grandfather's computer (Which is now mine) and I have came to the decision that one gigabyte of ram and a 2.60 Gigahertz Intel Celeron Processor isn't enough.

Here are my current computer specs HP Pavilion a307x Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion a307x Desktop PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English) and I would love to know if I could simply purchase a new processor or not. I am thinking not because of the 428 sockets would I have to purchase a new motherboard too?

If that is true then I can not do this and I would like to know if a new graphics card or more ram would speed up my computer a bit more.

Some games I would like to play with out lag and normal graphics quality would be.
Soldier Front
Combat Arms
Microsoft Flight Simulator X
Halo
Halo 2

Would this be possible.

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Sincerely,
Case

I would say you need to upgrade it if you don't want lag and play with normal graphics. Socket is pretty much phased out but maybe can push those, memory and gfx wise I would say you need upgrades dude. If that's gonna happen, you pretty much need to upgrade your motherboard.

It's better of saving money and building a custom built than upgrading it. That's just my opinion though.

Well I've spoken to a Geek Squad worker/representative and he told me what I could do was upgrade my stick of ram to two gigabytes and purchase a new AGP Graphics Card and it would improve many games I play especially memory needing games like Combat Arms and Flight Simulator X.

My next question would be what type of graphics card would be best?
AGP Graphics Card: AGP Video Cards - Best Buy

And thanks joelm3103 for your feedback.

Yeah you can do that, but overall...just saying you happen to want to play latest games that comes out or an upgrade to 1 of those (just saying it has an upgrade)...then you would most likely have to upgrade your motherboard and everything to cope with the up coming games and requirements.

Might be best if you got reviews from others, I'm not too good when it comes to hardware :(.

The computer uses a 478 CPU which is a couple of generations back and very hard to find. I found this one, but it is a refurbished CPU:
Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 800MHz 512KB Socket 478 CPU Intel

As for a graphics card, forget Worst Buy and its Creep Squad as they are only out for all they can squeeze out of you. But your stuff at NewEgg (newegg.com).

Give us your budget and we'll see what we can put together for you. Odds are the computer only has a 200-250 watt PSU, so you may need to replace it to be able to run a decent GFX card.

2 x 1GB of RAM:
Newegg.com - WINTEC 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AMD1400-2GK-R - Desktop Memory

Well I'm turning thirteen so my budget would be anywhere from 75-110 dollars.
I will have to stick with best buy though because I have never messed with hardware inside of my computer by myself before.

Right now they don't carry any processors whatsoever so it wouldn't matter anyways.
I'm not looking to play any new high-end games anyways just the ones stated and even with low quality and decreased textures.

Any recommendations?

They must be AGP too.
AGP Graphics Card: AGP Video Cards - Best Buy

Well the best buy near me only carries the VisionTek - ATI Radeon HD 3650 1GB DDR2 AGP Graphics Card so that is what I shall be using with only 1 gig of DDR. The Geek Squad representative I spoke with told me this is what will get me up to speed with Combat Arms MSFSX and Halo.

Thank you for all of your help everybody!

Well I'm turning thirteen so my budget would be anywhere from 75-110 dollars.
I will have to stick with best buy though because I have never messed with hardware inside of my computer by myself before.

all you gotta do is unplug power cord, unplug old card, put new card in it's place, plug power cord back in and you are done (hardware wise anyway, gotta install drivers for new card)

I do not know how to embed utube videos... so here is a link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPQW0e9ufM

Well the best buy near me only carries the VisionTek - ATI Radeon HD 3650 1GB DDR2 AGP Graphics Card so that is what I shall be using with only 1 gig of DDR. The Geek Squad representative I spoke with told me this is what will get me up to speed with Combat Arms MSFSX and Halo.

Thank you for all of your help everybody!

this does not represent all geek squad members, but my local best buy's geek squad members does not know jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom