Which wireless router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude112

In Runtime
I'm planning on getting a PS3 and a laptop. It would be a real hassle to connect the ps3 with ethernet cable so I'm looking around for a good router.

Currently I've got 2 computers connected to a modem on a 20Mb (advertised) internet connection. I Would leave the 2 computers connected by wire and have my laptop and ps3 on wireless.

Which wireless router would be as good as a wired router or at least good enough to not notice any difference surfing and gaming? The distance would only be one floor down.
Back in the day the D-Link DIR 655/Linksys WRT320n were really good. Does that still hold true for today? My budget would be around the same as what the DIR 655 costs (70-80 EU).

I have the Netgear WNDR3700. It is quite nice, several options. I don't know what that would be in Euros. It was $150 USD

Netgear 3700 is a bit out of my budget.
PS3 is G network only so I'm guessing any N with backward compatibility would do?
Netgear 3500 maybe. I'm only planning on connecting a ps3 and a laptop wireless on a 20Mb connection.

You know, I've never really seen the point in these really high end routers, even in your case in which you need it to be snappy.

I've had great success using TP-Link routers both in my own home and in customer's homes and businesses. They're way cheaper than the stronger brands, and in my opinion - just as good.

Aria tend to stock plenty of them.

I see the D-Link 655 and Linksys recommended a lot but I do think they are probably overkill for my purposes but wouldn't know any other to get. Don't care about brands just want functionality. I'll check out TP.

Netgear 3700 is a bit out of my budget.
PS3 is G network only so I'm guessing any N with backward compatibility would do?
Netgear 3500 maybe. I'm only planning on connecting a ps3 and a laptop wireless on a 20Mb connection.
There's a 3500L, which you can use custom firmware on.
It doesn't seem like there are many wireless N routers that use open source firmware right now.

I currently have a WRT54GL with tomato firmware. If you don't need wireless N speeds, it is a very good router.
Doesn't have gigabit wired ports, but you could always connect a gigabit switch to it like I did (for PC to PC transfers)

As he said, N isn't really needed, but they have G wireless as well as N.

I only got it because my WRT54GL was failing on me. It had DDWRT on it. My friend recommended the 3700 to me and it has been pretty sweet. Of course, you go a bit lower if need be.

The WRT54GL is 46EU over here.
The TP TL-WR1043ND is the same price and it's a N router. Wouldn't this be the better choise?

Custom firmware? Say what? Any added value?

Oh and is there a difference between a modem+router and a router with built-in modem performance wise.
Linksys WAG120n is in the same pricerange... Would mean less clutter.

The WRT54GL is 46EU over here.
The TP TL-WR1043ND is the same price and it's a N router. Wouldn't this be the better choise?

Custom firmware? Say what? Any added value?
With custom firmware, you can get features and customisability that you usually only find in routers that cost 10 times as much.

I've been searching for reviews on the 3500l. Not that many out there but it seems promising.
It's in the same price range as the DIR655 and the Linksys wrt320N though which have been proven to be good.

Would the 3500L be the best way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom