Should I upgrade to Windows 7 (with these specs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

619clean

Solid State Member
It is preferable that i switch to Windows 7 from Windows Xp, as Xp is getting old on me. Some concerns...

1. Can my computer handle Windows 7, if not , then what upgrades should be made.
2. Can i dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic koala).
3. Would it be possible to just add a USB Thumbdrive (using ReadyBoost) in order to help increase performance (any recommended amounts ??)
4. Otherwise any comments, or advice?

Thanks for your help in advance (reports of any use linked to below)...

Google Docs

wsDSjo-DvtH0Y20qGGdtPfdXkXtCKUe4qxlNOIc6T515HSRm_9_ZQfrE05998qdJmagiPl-jh7eEt1V3oXTGvvfikw=s512

1. You may be able to handle 7, but you need more RAM though. Everything spec wise looks ok.
2. You can dual boot both Windows 7 and Ubuntu, not sure to the steps in that though.
3. Not exactly sure how ReadyBoost works, don't think you would see vast improvements to the system, also adding it every time you're gonna use the PC won't really make any sense, just upgrade the memory (RAM).
4. Overall it would run Windows 7, just a minor upgrades if necessary. What would the PC be used for?

Dual booting requires nothing special except a basic knowledge of how partitioning works and what to do during the setup process.

For example, let's use the figure 500gb. That's the size hard drive you're playing with here in the following example. Say you primarily want to use Windows, well, you'd go about partitioning Windows so the majority is set for that. I'm the opposite. I use Ubuntu for everything, and Vista for gaming. Since Vista is pretty huge, and Battlefield and GTA4 isn't exactly 1gb in size, I gave Vista 80gb in size, with Ubuntu taking up the remainder (about 420gb).

You always want to install Windows first. The reality is, the Windows boot loader hates everybody, while Grub (Linux's boot loader) can tolerate it. More or less, install Windows first, then Linux second. When you do it in this order, Grub kicks Window's boot loader to the curb and Grub takes over. If you do this in a reverse order, the Windows boot loader does the same thing (kicks Grub out) however the Windows boot loader does not pick up Linux, which defies the point of what you're trying to do.

Easiest way to do this is instead of hitting next next next next in the partitioning menu when you go to install Windows, erase all partitions that are present on the hard drive (assuming you want to start FRESH with ZERO data on the drive) and select a partition the size accordingly to what you want Windows to use. If you want to give Windows 400gb of the 500gb drive, do that. There's no right/wrong answer here. If you want to use Linux for "experimental" purposes, then you can reserve at a minimum (that I recommend) of about 15-20gb.

The important thing is, if you want to make it easy on yourself, Windows first, Linux second. Of course you can do this the other way around, but it requires setting up the boot loader afterwards. Example - if you install Linux, THEN Windows, you have to recover Grub to get both to be recognized. I believe there's instructions on Ubuntu's web site regarding this if you ever run into this.

If you do this, when you boot up it'll have a grub menu asking you which OS you want to boot to - Ubuntu or Windows. Then you can boot accordingly.

1. Can my computer handle Windows 7, if not , then what upgrades should be made.
2. Can i dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic koala).
3. Would it be possible to just add a USB Thumbdrive (using ReadyBoost) in order to help increase performance (any recommended amounts ??)
4. Otherwise any comments, or advice?

Thanks for your help in advance (reports of any use linked to below)...

1. While you could probably load Windows7, I don't think you would find it very enjoyable. You should get at least 2GB of memory, more if you can afford it. A better video card would be nice for the visual effects but you might need a power supply upgrade for that.

2. Yes

3. It might help a little with your present 512mb of ram, but not enough to really matter.

4.Don't upgrade, stick with XP, start saving up your cash and upgrade your cpu, mobo, memory, video and power supply and then go Win7. Trying to run Win7 on a sluggish PC won't give you that happy feeling it deserves.

1. You may be able to handle 7, but you need more RAM though. Everything spec wise looks ok.
2. You can dual boot both Windows 7 and Ubuntu, not sure to the steps in that though.
3. Not exactly sure how ReadyBoost works, don't think you would see vast improvements to the system, also adding it every time you're gonna use the PC won't really make any sense, just upgrade the memory (RAM).
4. Overall it would run Windows 7, just a minor upgrades if necessary. What would the PC be used for?
my intentions are to do technically everything on it (gaming, entertainment, word processing, and internet browsing). But of course i need more RAM and a better graphics card for that.

THANKS FOR THE INPUT TO ALL ....

btw is a GeForce 9800 GT good?? I had a friend who ran CODMW (1 & 2) with that card smoothly (and other games) . Plus he had about 1GB of RAM and a single core...

PS> not sure how well he ran it though (wonder if it lagged at any rate)...

Is there a site which can teel me what programs are compatible with Windows 7 either 32 ir 64 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom