Viperzpit

Solid State Member
Im not sure what needs upgraded the most with my computer, here are my specs

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 6142MB DDR2 RAM
Hard Drive: 640 GB Total
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4890
Monitor: HP w2216 Wide LCD Monitor
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2
Motherboard: Asus M2N68-LA
Network Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface

I was thinking of upgrading my motherboard and Processor, but i need a second opinion, i also have until march 18th to return my Radeon 4890, is it worth the extra 100$ for a radeon 5850?

I want to play Battlefield Bad Company 2 on high at least.

Thanks

Returning a 4890?
I wouldn't.
You need to upgrade your CPU to a Phenom II.
And your motherboard could use an upgrade as well, like you assumed.
Go with an 890GX it'll last you years probably.
Mind you, none of that is exactly necessary, but it would improve that rig quite well.
Also, ditch your 6Gb of DDR2 and buy 4Gb of DDR3

i mean the 4890 doesnt have an hdmi port. i doubt i will use it anytime soon if at all, but who knows maybe that 32 inch LCD downstairs could be my new monitor

im thinking my budget will be at most 600$.

Would it be worth the extra 100$ for the 5850? instead of the 4890?

would this ram work Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996782 - Desktop Memory

in this motherboard Newegg.com - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

even though it says designed for intel motherboard?

That RAM would work fine, I don't think it's worth the extra money for a 5850 personally, as a 4890 overclocked can max everything.
The 5850 will only offer at most 15-20% improvement over the 4890
Seeing as how it's hard to find a game that makes the 4890 struggle, I don't see why you'd want to upgrade.
Wait for the next generation.

To be honest I don't see a reason to upgrade any of your components. I would save the money and save some more and get a new rig in a year or so.
Why do you want to upgrade? Is there any task that you need more processing power?

yea like farinha asked, why do you feel you need an upgrade?

i guess a worthwhile upgrade would be a new phenom ii cpu and a new mobo since the asus one you listed is apparently from an hp prebuilt, so any OCing on that is unlikely.

so maybe a new cpu along with a new mobo to OC that cpu and an aftermarket heatsink to safely OC that cpu. and also maybe an aftermarket heatsink to OC your 4890, which even at stock speeds should have no problem handling bad company 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom