Overclocking i7 - Need a bit of help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm66554

Baseband Member
OK first time today overclocking a CPU... I managed to get it to 3GHz with these settings:

BCLK: 150MHz
CPU Ratio Setting: 20
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: 1503
UCLK Frequency: 3007

CPU Voltage: 1.3v
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.64v

Everything else is left at auto. Problem is, thats how far I could go before my comp started freezing upon login. I went up to CPU voltage 3.2v with a 21 CPU multiplier and it still froze but from that point I got scarred and backed it down.

My question is, how do people get higher than 3GHz on stock cooling? Is there any technique I can utilise while changing voltages... like for reference (for example checking to see if temps are below x)? What is QPI/DRAM voltage & CPU PLL voltage? I didnt mess with those settings as I have no clue what they should be. Is temperature the only limitation to how high you can overclock?

Also a quick question for anyone who knows... do the old universal EK Supreme waterblocks work with 1366 socket?

Thanks.

back it down and get a aftermarket heatsink. I would also remount your current heatsink as those temps are way too high.

1.3 is a pretty high vcore as well. I run a C0 stepping at 3.4 with a vcore of 1.19 Most D0 steppings can get a much higher stable clock with that vcore.

hmm I dont see how remounting it would do much, unless I applied more thermal paste. It took me a while to figure out how to mount it and I left it at the tightest I could get. I think Id rather get my WC system working instead. I really dont like those i7 fans.

I backed it down to 1.25v with BLCK: 145MHz.

OK first time today overclocking a CPU... I managed to get it to 3GHz with these settings:

BCLK: 150MHz
CPU Ratio Setting: 20
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: 1503
UCLK Frequency: 3007

CPU Voltage: 1.3v
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.64v

Everything else is left at auto. Problem is, thats how far I could go before my comp started freezing upon login. I went up to CPU voltage 3.2v with a 21 CPU multiplier and it still froze but from that point I got scarred and backed it down.

My question is, how do people get higher than 3GHz on stock cooling? Is there any technique I can utilise while changing voltages... like for reference (for example checking to see if temps are below x)? What is QPI/DRAM voltage & CPU PLL voltage? I didnt mess with those settings as I have no clue what they should be. Is temperature the only limitation to how high you can overclock?

Also a quick question for anyone who knows... do the old universal EK Supreme waterblocks work with 1366 socket?

Thanks.

"I went up to CPU voltage 3.2v"

Am I reading this properly?
You raised your CPU voltage to 3.2v?
I would think an i7 920 would be a smoking pile of fire and burnt PCB at that point...

lol, agreed. Highest I went was about 1.45v I think

With a stock heatsink you can hit 3.2Ghz easy, 160Mhz bclk and a x20 multiplier. 1.2vcore is plenty for that.

It took me a while to figure out how to mount it and I left it at the tightest I could get.

"I left it at the tightest I could get."

That's the part that just doesn't sound good. If you were having a hard time then it is very likely that the pre-applied paste was messed up and I fear that what you have as tight, is not what Intel considers tight. What are your idle temperatures like? Post a screenshot of Hardware Monitor running.
HWMonitor

oops I meant 1.32v not 3.2.

After reading hefemeisters post I backed it down to 1.18v with 150 MHz BCLK and it hasnt crashed so far. Im pretty sure the fan is mounted OK, I always check everythings done properly before proceeding... maybe coretemp got mixed up on the temps or something :s

corei7oc3ghz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom