is this a good build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

distovel

Beta member
Hi guys, i am thinking of buying a gaming computer online and i customized it to these specs. ANY input would be appreciated as i have never bought a gaming computer before. The thing i am most worried about is hooking this system up to my 42" philips HDTV lcd. I've read some horror stories about the ATI 5850 card when hooking up to lcd with hdmi. please let me know what u think i really appreciate it. if you need any other details on this build please let me know also. Thanks

Case ( NZXT Lexa-S Gaming Tower Case - Black w/ Blue Light )
Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7 930 Processor (4x 2.8GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( PowerDrive Level 2 - Up to 20% Overclocking )
Processor Cooling ( CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooling Fan System )
Memory ( 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 Triple Memory Module - Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology )
Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 5850 - 1GB - Single Card )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )
Motherboard ( ASUS P6T SE -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire Supported w/8-ch HD Audio, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3 PCI-E MB )
Power Supply ( 700 Watt -- Power Supply - SLI Ready )
Primary Hard Drive ( 320 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
Data Hard Drive ( None )
Optical Drive ( 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) - 64-Bit )

don't know what's PowerDrive and brand of power supply, but everything else looks good to me.

don't know anything about ATI 5850 to LCD via HDMi since I don't have the card...

i think the powerdrive just means they are going to overclock it 20% for me... you think its ok to let them oc it 20% for me? I don't really want to figure it out myself, but i don't want someone else screwing it up at the factory either... what do u think?:umm: as for the power supply i just went with the default one, no name brand, is that a bad? is name brand that important on power supply?

Yes name brand is very important when it comes to power supplies; There are some companies that make very high quality PSUs and some make really shoddy ones. A 700watt PSU may cost between $35 to $200, so that should give you an idea of the variability in quality.

As for the OC, 20% is pretty safe, they won't even need to play with voltages or anything. I wouldn't pay for it though, as its really easy to just do it yourself.

Speaking of do it yourself, have you considered doing this build yourself? You'd save a few $$ and get better quality parts.

Yes name brand is very important when it comes to power supplies; There are some companies that make very high quality PSUs and some make really shoddy ones. A 700watt PSU may cost between $35 to $200, so that should give you an idea of the variability in quality.

As for the OC, 20% is pretty safe, they won't even need to play with voltages or anything. I wouldn't pay for it though, as its really easy to just do it yourself.

Speaking of do it yourself, have you considered doing this build yourself? You'd save a few $$ and get better quality parts.

By few $$
aliasaid means probably a few hundred :p
Retailers that sell pre-builts usually make $50-300 pure profit from each sale just for putting a bunch of parts together.

thanks for all the input. I thought about building it myself but then i just got too excited and wanted one fast. i can bite the extra couple hundred seeing as i'm a newbie at this. Can u tell me which brand is the best for the money in regards to power supplies? also, which parts could be higher quality? is the motherboard ok? i want to run most games on high graphics settings, can this computer handle that?

thanks for all the input. I thought about building it myself but then i just got too excited and wanted one fast. i can bite the extra couple hundred seeing as i'm a newbie at this. Can u tell me which brand is the best for the money in regards to power supplies? also, which parts could be higher quality? is the motherboard ok? i want to run most games on high graphics settings, can this computer handle that?

The satisfaction you get from building one yourself + the money saved is well worth a wait of the extra couple of hours it'll take you to build it yourself.
Chances are, if you order the parts and put it together yourself, you'll actually have it up and running FASTER than if you had bought it from a third party retailer, as many of them work by contract.
It could take a week or two for you to get it from them.
Where as if you order parts from Newegg or something, you get them in about 2-3 days, assembly and getting everything running only takes a couple hours.
And you'll save yourself between $50-300

It's well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom