Presario F500 no power

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaellbb

Beta member
Hello,
I have a Compaq Presario F500 laptop that suddenly has 0 power.
I have checked the obvious (power cord, etc.) and tried an HP suggested reset with no results.
The only sign of life is a blue light where the power cord plugs in.

Everything worked fine when I powered it on. After routine operation for about 30mins. It suddenly and without any warning or sign of trouble, shut off.
The only trouble I have noticed was the cooling fan becoming a little louder than normal.

Will the cooling fan failing or not working properly cause this kind of shut down?
Any suggestions welcome.
Thank you,
Michael

That's a laptop, right?

Did you try taking the battery out and just run only on power?

Did you check the connections of the power source, make sure the plug is all the way in tight, no wiggle?

Yes, it is a laptop.
I have made sure all the power connections are ok .
HP tech had me remove battery-unplug power cord-hold power button down 2 minutes. Plug power cord back in try to start w/o battery. I believe this is called a hard reset. It produced no results and from this information the tech declared that the main board is bad.

In October of 2009 I sent this laptop to HP for an extended warranty fix due to network card at which time they replaced the main board. That's less than 6 mos. A little soon to need a new one.
Either way the tech said it is now a different issue and service would be about $250.

It may be the main board, but i am looking at other possible causes.

Thanks,
Michael
No wiggle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom