New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jebathan

Baseband Member
im getting ready to build a my first pc, mostly for gaming and very little video editting. I was just wondering what you guys think of these specs, if it will work fine and be combatable or not.

$223 - P4 3.2E Prescott / 800MHz FSB / Hyper-Threading
$91 - ASUS P4P800-VM
$82 - Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200
$400 - NVidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
$90 - Western Digital 120GB SATA
$40 - Sony 52x32x52x16 Combo Drive
$55 - Case, forgot which one, nothing fancy
$54 - Aspire ATX-AS500W BK12V
$ - XP Home, Im going to getting it threw my skewl, so its gonna cost less than normal just odn tknow how much less.

if u can try to go amd for gaming. but that should be more than fine to run your games.

Yea, that system will make your games scream. However, I would consider upping your amount of RAM to 1GB. Even with the 6800GT, i've heard of people getting low framerates in Doom 3 with only 512MB of RAM.

beedubaya said:
Yea, that system will make your games scream. However, I would consider upping your amount of RAM to 1GB. Even with the 6800GT, i've heard of people getting low framerates in Doom 3 with only 512MB of RAM.

I agree with that. Make sure to get your ram in pairs so that you can run it in dual channel mode.

yup two 512 mb corsair cual channel sticks should do the job.. and yes i would also point you towards amd for gaming... go with a socket 939 amd 64 processor... paried with the msi k8n neo platinum (with the nForce 3 chipset) and youll be set for some serious gaming :).. oh and go with preferably the 3200+ or the 3500+... but if you can afford it an FX-53 wouldnt hurt either! :) lol

so perhaps i should get an

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
ASUS K8N Nvidia NForce3 Socket 754
Corsair 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200

instead? I've never had an AMD before. It says its operating speed is only 2.2 GHz, thats quiet a bit lower than 3.2. Will it still run just as good though?

You will notice the difference, trust me. And yeah thats is a decent buy. Not a bad price on the OEM from newegg.

Dont worry about the speed, someone else I'm sure will elaborate with the technogeekno stuff ;) .

Well you cant run dual channel with a 754 Pin CPU, try to get a 939 or something different. I have a 754 and let me tell you 1GB of RAM it doesnt matter if you have Dual or not.

You'll get the socket 759's for pretty cheap, since AMD will be continuing their CPUs ont he Socket 939 board. This is why the AMDs will be cost-effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom