Black screen after OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie2

Solid State Member
I have an old MSI socket A MB, I use to clock it to 2.4, after many yrs,
I tried to oc the other day & I could only get it to 1.2, if I try to go higher
when it reboots, I have a black screen, is my MB or CPU going or both??

Reset the bios.
Could very well be that its age is starting to show, check the heatsinks/fans make sure they're all working and not clogged up with dust. Reapply the thermal paste to the cpu, and give the case a general clean out.

What do you mean, "Reset the bios?? & Reapply the thermal paste to the cpu, It's been so long since I added thermal paste, what are the steps??...........thanx

To reset the bios:

1. Unplug the power cord from the back of the PC.
2. Remove the silver, coin shaped battery from the motherboard
3. Press the power button on the front of the PC a few times
4. Put the battery back into the motherboard, plug the power cord back in, and start the pc.

To apply new thermal paste:

1. Take the heatsink off the CPU.
2. Remove any old paste with some rubbing alcohol or methylated spirits and a clean cloth
3. Apply a small dot of thermal paste onto the middle of the CPU (about the size of a grain of rice, or half a pea)
4. replace the heatsink, twist it around just a little before tightening any screws/fastenings to ensure the paste is spread evenly.

You said to reset the bios by taking out the battery & reinstalling it, if I clear cmos, would that be the same thing????

could be a number of things:
* capacitors leaking
* dust/thermal paste (too much heat) causing instability
* heat damage to the CPU over time
* weak solder joints on some of the hardware (particularly memory)
* you didn't get all your settings right (same volts, check memory frequency/timings)

Well I finally got some time & I cleaned out the PC good, No more dust & I chked the MB, no leaks, ran memtest86 almost 2 hrs & no errs, the
cpu runs at about 40 C, I reset the bios & when booting it said the bios
wasn't setup right, didn't know what to do so I ran as before, I'll reset the bios again later if somebody gives me some info on how to set it up?? When booting there's always been "bios not installed" thats under
Sata, which I'm not using anyway, maybe thats what they mean??
After I setup the biois, I'm going to put some thermal paste on the cpu.
How often do peeps do this?? My cpu isn't running that hot anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom