CPU speed and total RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
Does a more powerfull CPU require more RAM than a less power CPU of the same brand model etc? For instance if I was to put an Intel core 2 Quad 8300 at 2.5GHz would it use less more or the same amount of RAM than the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 at 2.6GHz?

And while we are talking about CPU's could someone tell me if the difference in price between these 2 CPU's is worth the extra investment?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 Socket LGA775 processor £158.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 Socket LGA775 processor - Misco.co.uk

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Socket LGA775 Processor £114.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Socket LGA775 Processor - Misco.co.uk

The price difference is worth it, and no different processors do not require more RAM?

The more expensive processor is higher clocked, but not only that, it has a 6Mb L2 cache vs the cheaper processor's 4Mb L2 cache.

The amount of RAM and what the speed of your CPU have nothing to do with each other in that way.

Personally I'd go for the Q9400. The Q9s are much better than the Q8 series.

So then it's not just a 0.1GHz increase in speed the actual CPU is a better CPU overall then?

Can you also just confirm whether or not the second CPU is actually a decent CPU or not as well if you don't mind.

Things like the increase in cache tend to give a much greater performance boost than an increase in clock speed.

Really depends on what you mean by 'decent.' I'd much rather have my dual-core E8400 than a Q8400 (they're more different than they sound).

However, now considering the fairly big price difference, I would go for the Q8400 - it really depends on how much you're willing to spend.

Depending on what you're upgrading from, it would probably be better to save for an i5 system than to spend any money on an LGA775 CPU.

I believe he is on the Pentium E2000 series

depending on what you think is lacking, overall system responsiveness? gaming performance? video, audio encoding, trans-coding? a cpu upgrade may or may not change much

I currently have a E2200 2.2GHz and the reason I am looking to buy a new CPU is because I don't have the money to buy a new PC so this needs to last a few more years. I have recently installed windows 7 64 bit and I have noticed that when I am typing I am getting a bit of a lag in the time it takes for the letters to appear, it is also a bit of a slug when it comes to booting up. I know the CPU that I am looking at putting in aint going to make my PC a powerfull gaming rig but I hope it will make it a more pleasant and responsive machine, I want my PC to be a bit more responsive thats about it really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom