New Computer Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1783500 said:
Your point is irrelevant to my statement.
Here, let me explain why.

He doesn't mention efficiency at all, he was merely comparing wattage to wattage and implying that lower wattage=lower power drawn from the wall.
Also the 850w Seventeam PSU is 80+ Silver certified so it's efficiency is actually better than the PSU that dirk referred to, now I don't know what the load efficiencies are for these PSUs and I don't really want to look them up, if the Seventeam PSU had abysmal efficiency at lower loads then your point is still valid, but I don't think I've seen a Seventeam PSU drop below 70% efficiency even at very low loads.

And yes, I know about efficiency, you don't need to preach to the choir, though the information would probably be useful to saxnerd.
My comment was merely against dirkpit's implication, I will specify better next time.

I was not implicating that, I referred to the seventeam or whatever PSU as the 850w cause I didn't remember the name.. Figured saying it was "overkill" was good enough, isntead of "your parts won't use nearly that much power, thus making your powersupply overkill and operate under its efficiency point" Either way, it makes your power bill go up. Using a 850w PSU is gonna cost more then a 550w, maybe only $10 or so, but that's a $120 a year. To some people that may matter, just pointing that out. Happened to a friend, had to cut back using his pc cause the power bill was ~$30 (CAD) a month more then before. Though I doubt anyone else pay as much for internet and power as we do here soo.

Antec cases are always a safe bet... not ever the best(in my opinion) but they do make good choices. The coolermaster cases are also very good... I have the HAF932 and it is amazing. I was looking at the Lancool k58 and it was very appealing, but the HAF went on sale and I couldn't turn it down. I hear good things about the HAF 922 if you don't want full tower.

Yes an 850w PSU will use more power from the wall than a 550w, even if its 50 cents a month which is negligible, however the added cost of buying an 850w vs 550w isn't and it is still overkill. And just too keep with the thought of "efficiency" to spend extra money for power capabilities that you do not need is inefficient all in of itself :)
also, my apologies for the semi-hijack due to PSU discussions.

I finally got my computer and decided on a

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

ASUS MS226H Glossy Piano-Black
Newegg.com - ASUS MS226H Glossy Piano-Black / White 21.5" 2ms Ring Stand & Ergo-Fit HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000 :1 - LCD Monitors

ASUS Black 24X DVD
Newegg.com - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

COOLER MASTER HAF 932
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

GIGABYTE GV-R585D5-1GD-B Radeon HD 5850
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R585D5-1GD-B Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Total: $1418

Everything runs perfectly and I had no problems putting it all together. I love the case, it's extremely quiet and it cools everything. My only complaint is there are no fan controls, but I knew that when I bought it. I haven't tried very many games on it yet but so far I've been able to play everything on full settings. So far i haven't tried overclocking because it's already fast and I don't want to take the risk even if it's very small.

I would like to thank everyone for the help it was great. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them the best I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom