What is needed to run a game server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and to answer luke:

1)What makes you stand out
-That's another point I haven't quite figured out. I do have a few ideas on what to do for little benefits that would make things even cheaper on people.
2)What will your pricing be
- As I said earlier, I looked into pricing...it's possible to go to around $.60/slot and still remain profitable if you want to go that low. From what I've seen $0.79/slot seems to be the lowest in the market though.
3)are you sure your connection is up to snuff
- I've seen people say <5mb/s is okay and I've seen many more say about 10mb/s is okay. My aim is 10-20+ per machine.
4)what are you going to do if you have a power outage
- Again, this is happening in the future. And this isn't the only idea for the future(meaning my house will come way before this) and there are a few ideas there that would prevent power issues..
5)what are you going to do if your internet drops
- What can anyone do if your internet drops? If it happens it's an act of nature...so it could happen to a data center too.
6)how will customers edit there servers (such as adding mods)
-I haven't looked into this yet to be honest. Actually to be honest I have no clue how to run any of it yet. But there is many many years of planning to do before it becomes a reality, so many years of learning.
7)what would be the overall reason for some one to choose you over a reputable data center server.
- With the asking around forums I've noticed the most common answer I get basically comes down to " I don't care where it's at as long as you offer similar service". So obviously you guys are the only ones that are hard core on this data center idea.(Which I attribute to the fact you know your tech unless a lot of consumers out there)

well i guess this is a start, and i dont mean to be rude what so ever, (i think this could work out well if its done right) but i dont think you fully understand the magnitude of the things involved. Well, correction, things are simple if your only running things half ***. But if you want a decent profit margin, and a good customer base, there is ALOT of work involved. But if this is like 5+ years off, i dont think this thread will be relivent to it what so ever, alot can change in 5 years.

^^^ A lot will change over 5 years but I'm sure the ratio of what is needed now to run 200 will remain constant (as in a $1000 machine can host 200 now, it'll probably host 200 then too).

And I don't fully understand everything involved. I know this and accept that lol. That's why there will be a lot of planning involved.

I agree about the half ***'ing part. Nothing is simple unless you do that. I'm not saying it'll be simple, I'm just saying it's not a big deal that it would require a full company's workforce to manage.

Thanks for the continuing input guys, really appreciated it..your opinions are valuable considering you are consumers in this type of market and you know what you expect out of your host.

But if this is like 5+ years off, i dont think this thread will be relivent to it what so ever, alot can change in 5 years.

QFT... The computer industry expands/advances exponentially so in 5 years none of this thread will be relevant whatsoever. Except maybe to get an idea of the work that will be involved to do something like this - as Luke pointed out.

This is kinda like asking for upgrade advice years in advance... you just don't do that.

QFT... The computer industry expands/advances exponentially so in 5 years none of this thread will be relevant whatsoever. Except maybe to get an idea of the work that will be involved to do something like this - as Luke pointed out.

This is like asking for upgrade advice years in advance... you just don't do that.

While tech has advanced over the years the only difference I've noticed in game servers over the last 3-5 years is the price drops, that's about it. So while there WILL be changes most likely, I don't think it'll be as drastic as planning a computer build 5 years in the future.

Okay...so I looked into the colocation stuff just to do more research about my options.

A lot of sites didn't give direct quotes on how much it'd be per month for colocation. But a few did..and the closest to what I would need (it's 50mb/s connection) is $575/month. So please..oh please tell me how this is a better option? People even said in this post it'd only be like $100/month which obviously isn't true.

Obviously every data center is different. I'm just saying ~$100/mo based on my recent experience of co-locating some hardware at a nearby data center. Of course, we have other services through this provider so we might be getting a price break and it's impossible to distinguish what's co-lo charges and what's VM charges.

There's no way you'd need 50mb/s connection. That's way overkill IMO. I'm sure you'll find a 10mb/s connection to be substantially cheaper. Net connection is the most expensive line item with our provider (@ $50 per mb.)

Obviously every data center is different. I'm just saying ~$100/mo based on my recent experience of co-locating some hardware at a nearby data center. Of course, we have other services through this provider so we might be getting a price break and it's impossible to distinguish what's co-lo charges and what's VM charges.

There's no way you'd need 50mb/s connection. That's way overkill IMO. I'm sure you'll find a 10mb/s connection to be substantially cheaper. Net connection is the most expensive line item with our provider (@ $50 per mb.)

yea that's about the price I seen everywhere else

same site has 5mb/s for $175 month. So basically looking at $200-250 a month going the co-lo route. Or $130/month for 50mb/s 20mb/s hosting at home on FiOS.

You'd make money the co-lo route..but you'd have to have really powerful servers as in $4000+ duel xeon 32gb RAM server on each of those $200-250/month connections or it wouldn't be worth the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom