GPU upgrade with older CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say waiting is a smart decision here. Just get the card and wait to upgrade later. You know when you upgrade you are going to want the newest stuff again anyway.

Looking at Hefe's suggestions Maybe an e8400 and a 5770/5850? or drop the CPU upgrade completely and just get a GPU for now until you want to build new.

yeah but then i won't get a new PC until half life 3 haha

thanks for the suggestions all.... pretty sure after looking at all the socket 775 prices it's definitely not worth it so video card it is... this is to give a fps gain in bad company 2 so i will post results upon testing.... i get min 30 fps now in my current setup so im hoping that goes to 45-50

Alright, I hate to resurrect this thread, but how about this:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

....all about ~$750-800

I have done some further research, and everyone is saying that BC2 revolves around CPU usage and is multithread supported... meaning a quad core has a HUGE advantage over a dual.... thoughts?

I'm currently getting 30-60 fps on high settings at 1680x1050, but I'd like a little more oompf. I definitely don't think that a whole system upgrade is in order, as I really want to wait for the six-core processors (whatever they may be called) to come out.

I don't think you are going to see a huge fps jump by going up to a quad processor. Most games are not built to be made tons better by quad core. I am sure it will help a little by handling other processes and all but don't expect too much.

Makes a big difference in GTAIV if you ever want to run that. Though console version is much better (performance wise) soo.

I don't think you are going to see a huge fps jump by going up to a quad processor. Most games are not built to be made tons better by quad core. I am sure it will help a little by handling other processes and all but don't expect too much.

This is mostly for BF:BC2 (which does benefit) which I am really enjoying right now, but yeah... other games coming out this year and now don't really benefit.

I guess I've gotten all the help I can... thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom