Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have decided on

Western Digital C750GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600

XFX HD Radeon HD 5850 XXX Edition 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express

Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz LGA 1366 Quad-Core Desktop Processor Model

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

But I'm still have trouble deciding on a case and power supply. They need to be reasonably quiet and they need to be able to run my hardware. I have about $200 dollars to spend. Any ideas? Thank You

the TP NEW is outstanding
great price with the $20 dollar off promo code if you can order from Newegg.com

Ok reviews on the ModStream Pro and nice price after mail in rebate

K58 seems to have great air flow, non-painted interior like the K62 though

First thank you guys so much for all your helpful and quick responses. I've never posted in a forum before and I didn't expect this many nice responses. I think I've finalized my plan for my computer.

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA LightScribe $31.99

Western Digital 750GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive $69.99

XFX Radeon HD 5850 XXX Edition 1GB &
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB)DDR3 1600 $449.98

Seventeam 850W ATX 12V V2.2 &
Thermaltake V9 Black Edition ATX Computer Gaming Chassis $199.98

Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz &
GIGABYTE Intel X58 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $479.99
Total $1,231.92

Are there any problems, ways to make it better or cheaper? If not then I'll tell you how it works when I get it.

I wouldn't get a XXX version card, no point. You can clock up a basic card by 25mhz-50mhz in 10 seconds and save yourself some money.

You also don't need that 850w PSU, I'd go with the antec you had earlier. It'll be overkill and will just make your power bill go up for no reason.

Ok thank I just one question. For my computer what sized psu do I need? I might do some upgrades later, maybe two video card and I don't want to replace the psu.

I wouldn't get a XXX version card, no point. You can clock up a basic card by 25mhz-50mhz in 10 seconds and save yourself some money.

You also don't need that 850w PSU, I'd go with the antec you had earlier. It'll be overkill and will just make your power bill go up for no reason.

Power supplies don't draw more power from the wall than they need to at any given time.
?
What are you talking about power bill?

To answer Saxnerd's question.
A 600-700w ATX PSU from a decent brand will run crossfired 5850's just fine.

This is my final version I think. I got the XXX version because there was a deal.

Here is my last plan and I think final plan. Any comments?

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black LightScribe Support $31.99

Western Digital 750GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive $69.99

XFX Radeon HD 5850 (GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported &
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model $449.98

Seventeam 750W ATX &
Thermaltake V9 Black Edition ATX Computer Gaming Chassis $179.98

Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz LGA 1366 Quad-Core Desktop Processor &
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $479.98
Total: $1,243.91 Plus $34 shipping Minus $30 mail in rebate

Ok I think this is it. But any ideas would be nice. If not I'll post when I get it.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1783114 said:
Power supplies don't draw more power from the wall than they need to at any given time.
?
What are you talking about power bill?

Actually they do. This is why they have an efficiency rating. lower efficiency = more power drawn from wall while same power consumption inside computer.

PSU's efficiency generally have somewhat of a bell curve line on a graph. Their Peak efficiency is usually somewhere near 50-65% load... if you have a computer in which the components will only use about 300 watts of power, and you have a 1000w power supply (even a good name brand one) you will be running at something like 70-75%efficiency. If you are using a 550w PSU from a good company then you will be running more like 85% efficient. that means that the lower wattage PSU will pull less power from the wall with the exact same components inside.

anandtech PSU myths

I still have one question I'm not really sure what case to get. Every time I think i've picked one it has a problem. Any ideas for a case? It needs to run cool, preferably be quiet, and obviously hold all my hardware.

Actually they do. This is why they have an efficiency rating. lower efficiency = more power drawn from wall while same power consumption inside computer.

PSU's efficiency generally have somewhat of a bell curve line on a graph. Their Peak efficiency is usually somewhere near 50-65% load... if you have a computer in which the components will only use about 300 watts of power, and you have a 1000w power supply (even a good name brand one) you will be running at something like 70-75%efficiency. If you are using a 550w PSU from a good company then you will be running more like 85% efficient. that means that the lower wattage PSU will pull less power from the wall with the exact same components inside.

anandtech PSU myths

Your point is irrelevant to my statement.
Here, let me explain why.

He doesn't mention efficiency at all, he was merely comparing wattage to wattage and implying that lower wattage=lower power drawn from the wall.
Also the 850w Seventeam PSU is 80+ Silver certified so it's efficiency is actually better than the PSU that dirk referred to, now I don't know what the load efficiencies are for these PSUs and I don't really want to look them up, if the Seventeam PSU had abysmal efficiency at lower loads then your point is still valid, but I don't think I've seen a Seventeam PSU drop below 70% efficiency even at very low loads.

And yes, I know about efficiency, you don't need to preach to the choir, though the information would probably be useful to saxnerd.
My comment was merely against dirkpit's implication, I will specify better next time.

Also @saxnerd

I still have one question I'm not really sure what case to get. Every time I think i've picked one it has a problem. Any ideas for a case? It needs to run cool, preferably be quiet, and obviously hold all my hardware.

I suggest a Lian Li K7B or K58 if you want it to be fairly quiet and cool and have lots of room for your hardware.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...237&cm_re=lian_li_case-_-11-112-237-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112154&Tpk=k7b lian li

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom