Overclock Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seawolf

Baseband Member
It's been a couple of weeks since my first computer build and everything is going great. My only real complaint is that after finally installing and running Microsoft's FSX for the first time I'm not getting very good frames. As low as 8 fps at busy airports. I realize that a sim like this is a processor hog but surely a quad core can do better than this. I know that I can turn down options in my vid card settings and in-game but that's just not an option for me. Other games I'm running are doing just fine.

Anyway, I'm thinking it's time to try my first attempt at overclocking. I see that Asus has included some overclocking utilities with the software disk. Namely TurboV Evo and I've read about a BIOS utility called OC Tuner even though I can't seem to find it in my BIOS.

So on to my question. I've heard that overclocking MAY void warranties. Would that be the case here since Asus puts the utilities to overclock right on their driver disk?

I've seen a few posts on web sites that some people have had occasional problems using the TurboV Evo and read that the OC Tuner is better. I wanted to try this but after looking in my BIOS in the AI Tweak section it just doesn't seem to be there.
After reading this article about the same motherboard that I have I thought I might give this a try.
Intel Core i5 750 Overclocking Guide - Introduction

Since I've never done overclocking before is there any reason I couldn't use the settings these guys have come up with?
Any thoughts are appreciated.

My system specs are;
Antec 300 ATX mid tower (with 4 fans)
Asus P7P55D Pro LGA 1156 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad Core
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express
Corsair CMPSU-650TXB 650w ATX12V Power Supply
OCZ 4gb 240-Pin DDR3 SDRam
Western Digital 1TB HD
Western Digital 160 Gig HD
Windows 7 Home Premium

We have very similiar builds, could you post your results so I could see how that CPU does?

I also have a i5 build but with a P7P55D instead of a PRO. I can reach 3.7GHz, I'll tell you the settings when I get home.
Which settings are you using Seawolf?

Hello guys,
I apologize for the late reply.
I too was able to reach 3.7 GHz after using the OC Tuner the first time.
As for the settings, to tell you the truth I never checked. It's whatever the OC Tuner used.
I'm happy enough with the overclock that I'm not going to push it further for now even though I've seen reports of 4.2 GHz on this setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom