DSL proprietary software question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
I have a friend that recently had me pop in a new hard disk for him. After it was installed he gave me a couple new games he bought that he asked me to install before I gave him the PC back. I installed the games and they ran great. When he got the PC home he installed his DSL software BEFORE even trying the games. He sent me an email and said when he launches any of the games they crash and lock the system, he has to reboot.

Can proprieatary DSL software do this? I actually don't know how it could keep his games from launching but I can't think of anything else. Figured I'd make a post, I hate to have him dump the computer off here again.

No ideas? I use a router so I don't need to run any proprietary software for my DSL, and help would be appreciated.

Does your friend also use a router? or just a direct? best option here would be to replicate the problem either at your home, or recreate your environment at his place. That would isolate where the problem exists.
I don't think that the DSL stuff would cause this.

Try to remove the DSL software and then try the games. If he has been on line, he might have caught a virus or something?

DSL doesn't require software unless you have a DSL modem card installed on the pc. The software you installed for his DSL was probably just a program to setup the connection. It's probably something else causing it

Looks like my friend messed up. He used the software CD that was needed for Windows 2000 and 98. Since he is running XP he didn't need any software. So his software was locking up his applications, all of them, not just games. I told him to call his DSL company and they had him uninstall the software and walked him through a quick setup in XP. I think my buddy feels like an idiot, but everyone makes mistakes. The fact that he wasn't turning his DSL modem on when he tried to connect is ALMOST unforgivable though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom