Build to max Starcraft 2 settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again for the help! Great work. About 100 units max. I could always upgrade cooling later when I need to OC it or just OC it lightly until I get cooling?

Is there a big difference in Motherboards? Is that case big enough for the gaming card?

Thanks again for the help! Great work. About 100 units max. I could always upgrade cooling later when I need to OC it or just OC it lightly until I get cooling?

Is there a big difference in Motherboards? Is that case big enough for the gaming card?

Stock cooling is enough for a 3.8Ghz overclock pretty easily, and potentially even 4Ghz. Above and beyond is definitely third party territory.

The motherboard differences? Aside from the SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0 on the Asus motherboard, and the Asus 3 year parts and labor vs Biostar's 3 year parts, 2 year labor warranty, I don't think there's too much else.

The case will easily house the 5850.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, because Starcraft 2 is an RTS and you are commanding lots of troops, you may want to consider an i7 - 920 + 5770 combo, and if you find you need more graphics power later, add on a second 5770.
RTS games are harder on the processor generally, than on the graphics card. (Not true for all, but most.)
Or you could go with the i7 - 860 that aliasaid suggested, and get a crossfire/sli ready motherboard and purchase a single 5770 now, and get a second one later if you find that you need it.

I'm not sure which would perform better for an RTS game like SC 2 between the i7 860 or the i7 920, but I do know that for a multi-GPU setup you'd be better off with the 920. (Marginal differences though.)

I think I want to keep that video card because I could see myself going to a 24 inch monitor one day since they are so cheap.

Thanks Shiro, if this was your system, which would u go with? If I had to spend 1200 to get exactly what I want, so be it.

What intel cpu would that AMD compare to?

Also, on the Motheboard you recommended for the intel I found this con several times.

Cons: Be aware that if you run the SATA 6GB/s or USB 3.0 that your PCI-E Bandwidth is cut in half.

So I get SATA but I lose speed for my video card?

What intel cpu would that AMD compare to?

Also, on the Motheboard you recommended for the intel I found this con several times.

Cons: Be aware that if you run the SATA 6GB/s or USB 3.0 that your PCI-E Bandwidth is cut in half.

So I get SATA but I lose speed for my video card?

There really isn't a CPU from Intel to compare the Phenom II X3 720 too, as Intel doesn't sell tri-core CPUs.
The Phenom II X3 720 has the potential to unlock to a quad core. (Not 100% though, it's luck of the draw.)
In which case it would compare in gaming to the i5 - 750 or i7 - 920, but only when overclocked/unlocked.
For the most part, it's a stepping stone to the Phenom II X6 releasing later this year.
In gaming, you shouldn't notice a difference between the Phenom II X3 720 and Intel's current offerings, but in other applications and in CPU intensive RTS games there may be a noticeable difference, but I can almost guarantee it'll handle SC 2 better than your current rig by magnitudes, probably maxing it until scenes with several hundred troops being commanded at once. Then it might be a little bogged? But if you can manage to unlock it, or overclock it sufficiently, you won't notice a problem.

Mind you, I don't know for sure as SC 2 is still in beta?
The Phenom II X3 720 could potentially max it 24/7 for all I really know.
I actually suspect that it can, because the listed specs for the beta mention a 2Ghz Pentium 4? LoL
Laughable.
Overall, I think the Phenom II X3 720 would probably compare to a low-mid Core 2 Quad.
But when unlocked and overclocked, it would compare to an i5 - 750 or i7 - 920 in gaming performance, and a higher end Core 2 Quad in applications and rendering.

AMD Phenom II 720 and 810 AM3 Review Page 8 - Testing: Far Cry 2 - Overclockers Club

Here's some gaming benchmarks to give you a perspective.

techPowerUp :: AMD Radeon HD 5870 PCI-Express Scaling Review :: Page 25 / 26

x16 vs x8
There isn't much of a difference tbqh
That's with a 5870, needless to say the difference with a 5850 would be almost non existent.

But I suppose that con is something to look for.
But it's not if you use SATA, it's if you use SATA 6Gb/s.
(No HDD's that I know of at this moment currently use SATA 6Gb/s, it's a future proofing step, really.)
All HDD's currently available use SATA 3Gb/s.
And there aren't many devices which currently use USB 3.0 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom