Build to max Starcraft 2 settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

parks71

Solid State Member
I want to build a PC to replace my e6600 with 8800 GTS.

My monitor is 22'' with a rez of 1600by1000 (close anyway)

I do nothing but game and usually just RTS games, starcraft 2 and supreme commander.

I want to stay around 1000 or under although I would go a tad higher if it was really worth it.

I need everything but monitor including cooling to overclock it. I dont need to overclock to the max but a moderate overclock would be nice. I have no idea where to start because I have not stayed in tune with all the PC stuff since my last CPU.

Please recommend what I should use to meet my needs. Thanks for all help.

Would you be willing to recycle any parts from your old rig? How bout an operating system?

Woops, yeah, what aliasaid said.
Are the optical drives, HDD's, etc... from your old rig SATA?
Can you re use them?

Are there any other parts you are willing to re use?
Possibly PSU?

No, the kids are getting that cpu to do their homework and download music and crap so they dont infect my cpu anymore.

So i guess an operating system is included in the $1000. So that leaves around $900 for the hardware. I'll see what i can do!

I prefer the fastest. I used to like Gforce but now ATI seems to be better. No brand prefences although I do usually like Intel better than AMD but I can be convinced otherwise.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Also if something is on sale I dont mind taking advantage of it, like if a PS is not quite as good but much cheaper due to a rebate or whatever as long as it will do the job. Newegg has these combo deals but I also dont want to save 100 bucks to get screwed with a crappy component.

Here's one build; i went slightly over budget. Total: $1052 + shipping = $1060.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD253GJ 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

Now here's the deal, if you want some nice cooling, you'll have to downgrade some parts, probably the i7 to an i5... but that kinda defeats the purpose of overclocking if it means downgrading to do so...

If you want to go into hard-core gaming, you could downgrade the i7 to an i5 and upgrade the 5850 to a 5870.

Good Luck.

Wow, you built a beast of a computer, didnt think I would be able to get all that. Very good job and thanks for the hard work.

Question though, since my resolution on my monitor is 1600 by 1000, is that video card overkill? Would I be able to overclock that some with stock cooling? I dont mind upgrading cooling later either very good job with the combos. I really appreciate it.

Also, will that video card fit in that case?

$1042 with shipping using promo code EMCYPYN48 (Today only, then it'll be 1052 with shipping after today)

Newegg.com - Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) XMP-Ready Rev.2 Desktop Memory Model OCZ3X1600R2LV4GK - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners
Almost forgot about the burner.
Tack on $25 more

Some of the differences between this and what aliasaid posted.

i5 750 vs i7 860
aliasaid didn't have on a cpu cooler
Sata 6Gb/s and USB 3.0 capable Asus motherboard v.s. the Biostar mobo posted by aliasaid
samsung spinpoint f3 250gb hdd v.s. seagate 7200.12 500gb hdd

For the most part the two builds aren't terribly different in gaming performance.
I'll see what I can fit together for your budget using AMD instead of Intel.

-----------------------------
Wow, you built a beast of a computer, didnt think I would be able to get all that. Very good job and thanks for the hard work.

Question though, since my resolution on my monitor is 1600 by 1000, is that video card overkill? Would I be able to overclock that some with stock cooling? I dont mind upgrading cooling later either very good job with the combos. I really appreciate it.

Also, will that video card fit in that case?

The 5850 is overkill for your resolution.
A 5770 could probably tie you over.
(Quick question, how many troops can you command at once on Starcraft 2? And how many people may fight each other at once?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom