PCI Express 2.0 & Power Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne

Beta member
Hello Tech-Guys,

I recently purchased two new computers. One for myself and the other for my girlfriend. One of the "secret" main reasons I bought two new computers was so that I could get back into World of Warcraft now that my son is 3 and I have some extra time on my hands to do so. My specs follow.

AMD Athlon X2 7550 (2.5GHz) 64 bit Dual Core Processor
3GB DDR2 (800) RAM
320GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics 128MB Integrated Graphics
NVIDIA nForce 430 Motherboard Chipset
PCI (1), PCI Express x16 (1), PCI Express x1 (2) Expansion Slots
22' LCD HD Display

I know their nothing fancy and probably already obsolete, but they run World of Warcraft right now on a low-medium settings pretty well at about 20-60FPS depending on where I am and what I'm doing.

I'm looking at the following cards for our machines and was curious about the "PCI Express 2.0" section of the card specs. I was also told to check my power supply to make sure the card won't overheat my system.

GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 128-bit
Newegg.com - ZOTAC ZT-98GES5P-FDL GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit
Newegg.com - ZOTAC ZT-98GES3M-FSL GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I've got a decent amount of PC knowledge, but not on the level of the folks that spend time on these forums and that's why I'm here looking for help. What aspects would I have to consider and what things 'should' I do when considering to buy this card or any other card for that mater.

Look forward to hearing back from you guys (and gals) soon.

Thanks.

PS. What does it mean when it says I have the three PCI expansion slots?

Thanks again.

We can check your PSU for you, if you don't mind opening up your case and just tell us what's written on the side of your PSU.
Or take a pic of it and post :3

Now as Muffin Man said.
4850 > 9800 GT

PCI is a connector type.
pc_slots.gif

The graphics cards will go in the PCI - Express X16 slot though.

PCI Slots are for things like extra USB hubs, older sound cards, older graphics cards, fan slot coolers, and a slew of other useless junk attachments. (IMO)
:p

I'll be glad when motherboards cease including PCI slots and just have PCI-Express slots personally.

Now as for your PCI-E 2.0 question, it's just an update to the old PCI-E bus allowing for twice the bandwidth of PCI-E 1.0 buses.

It won't really matter for you though, as PCI-E 2.0 cards are backwards compatible.
And a 4850 or 9800 GT won't be bottlenecked on the older PCI-E 1.0 connection.
Only very new cards that eat loads of bandwidth really need PCI-E 2.0 X16 and even then the limitations aren't atrocious.

P.S.
You better overclock your Athlon X2 to at least 3Ghz or I'm going to be disappointed in you.

P.P.S.

If you want a great gaming card that your PSU is almost guaranteed to be able to handle

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131341

Only uses between 50-60 watts at load, and performs above a 4670 in performance, slightly below a 9600 GT.
It could run WoW with ease and get as many FPS as you could possibly want, and is easier on your wallet than the cards you're looking at.
Also, it doesn't need any PCI-E connectors or anything.
You just slap it in the motherboard slot, and it's good to go.
Also, it's low profile which means it should be relatively quiet and it shouldn't get too hot.

img00019201003062244.jpg

img00024201003062244.jpg

img00025201003062245.jpg

img00018201003062243.jpg

Here are a few images I took tonight after reading the post you guys wrote. I'm sorry about the picture quality as I did a system reboot with my Blackberry and forgot to increase the pixel count on my camera. I hope you guys can still make it out.

I did noticed though that the slots match up to the diagram posted by Shiro. So I do have the PCI, (2) PCI-E x1, and the PCI-E x16 slots.

Also I'm not sure I understand the difference in those two cards (AX4850 & AX5570) as the AX4850 is more then the AX5570 and people are saying the AX5570 isn't really a gaming card. My hopes are to maybe play World or Warcraft and the Sims 3 with getting as many FPS on the highest detail I can get. (I'm not selfish, I just like pretty things)

Lastly, not to sound like a tard, but how and what's over-clocking?

(I've heard people talk about it, but don't know myself. Please don't smack me to hard, I bruise easily)

Yes the 4850 is quite a bit better than the 5570, but orihS said the 5570 will most likely work without a power supply upgrade. I'm fairly certain that you'll need a new power supply to run a card like the 4850 or the 9800gt. Can you take a close up picture of the power supply? its that box at the top-right corner of the first picture. Or just tell us the info we need, whats the wattage and how much Amps on the 12V rail(s).

As for overclocking, its when you make your computer go faster! But i doubt you'd be able to do it since it looks like your computer is a pre-built (dell/hp/gateway, etc..)

If your computer is a prebuilt, then tell us the model number and we may be able to find out the PSU specs for it.

The model number is...

CQ5110F

It is a pre-built machine as I don't know much about building my own. I perhaps should have consulted folks like you guys here at Tech-Forums first, but the PC's where a bit of a spontaneous buy. Like I mentioned before I'm not looking for something that can play Battlefield: Bad Company 2 or even Mass Effect 2 for that matter (that's why I've got my Xbox) but something that I could run the Sims 3 and World of Warcraft at high settings with good FPS.

You guys need any more information just let me know. And thanks again for being a awesome group of folks. Elsewhere on the internet my qustions reamined unanswered.

Kudos to Tech-Forums. :thumbsup:

The model number is...

CQ5110F

It is a pre-built machine as I don't know much about building my own. I perhaps should have consulted folks like you guys here at Tech-Forums first, but the PC's where a bit of a spontaneous buy. Like I mentioned before I'm not looking for something that can play Battlefield: Bad Company 2 or even Mass Effect 2 for that matter (that's why I've got my Xbox) but something that I could run the Sims 3 and World of Warcraft at high settings with good FPS.

You guys need any more information just let me know. And thanks again for being a awesome group of folks. Elsewhere on the internet my qustions reamined unanswered.

Kudos to Tech-Forums. :thumbsup:

Well the ATI 5570 could definitely handle those two things.

Your powersupply is 300watts, which isn't TOO bad. Upgrading to a decent powersupply will cost you around $50, so getting a card that'll work without changing a powersupply is priority for you, and since you're not running the latest games, there are a few that'll work well for you.

As orihS already mentioned, the 5570 is a reasonable option. Also, the GT 240 also uses little power with similar performance.

Newegg.com - Palit NE5T2400FHD51 GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N240D5-512I GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

those will work w/o a PSU upgrade.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom