mainboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

robotdoggi

Solid State Member
875P Neo-FISR (PCB 2.0) ------>Mainboard model
===================================

• HT ready
• Supports Intel® P4 Northwood/Prescott/P4 Extreme Edition processors.(Socket 478)
• Supports up 3.2GHz/800MHz and higher speed

• Intel® 875P Chipset
- Supports FSB 800/533MHz.
- Supports AGP 8X interface.
- Supports ECC memory.
- Supports Single/Dual Channel DDR 400/333/266 memory up to 4GB.

Above is the spec of MSI mainboard that im interested. I wanto upgrade to this new mainboard but i still wanto keep my old 1.7 Ghz processor and 256 DDR memory.
But i dont know whether my old processor and memory are compatible with this new mainboard or not.

I also wanto know is it if the mainboard support 478 socket that mean it can support any processor that is 478 socket?

Thanks. :beard:

Welcome to TF!!

Let me ask.. is there any reason you decided on this motherboard than anything else? Doesn't seem logical to pick a sloppy joe sandwich from the menu and ask yourself, you think I'll get heart burn. ;)

The 875P Neo-FISR will not be compatible as it supports a minimum FSB (front side bus) of 533 Mhz.

Your CPU has a 400 Mhz FSB (front side bus).

thanks. so if i wanto buy a mainboard i should look at the minimum FSB, right? That mean if i have CPU that support minimum 533mhz then i must have a motherboard with the minimum 533mhz FSb, right?

Can i have a mainboard that has FSB faster then CPU FSB?
Example FSB for mainboard is 533mhz and CPU's FSB is 400mhz.

Nope!

Like I mentioned above - The motherboard must support the FSB of the CPU.

Your CPU has a 400 Mhz FSB.

The motherboard listed above (MSI 875P Neo-FISR) supports a FSB of 800/533 Mhz. You are going to have to find one that supports a FSB of 533/400 Mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom